VA85 Awards, 1969/70

While researching history for VA85, I came across "awards.navy.mil/awards/webapp01.nsf"

Under Unit Awards it shows we received an approved award "AE" in October 69. Also received an award "MU" beginning Sept, 1969 through 30 April, 1970.

I am trying to find out what VA85 did to earn these awards and is it something that should be on the DD214? Several months ago I wrote to the Navy asking these same questions but have not received an answer yet.

So, do any older VA85 sailors know what we did to earn these awards?

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Douglas I am just now reading your post of long ago about our awards 69/70.  It is my understanding that the AE - Armed Expedition force award was for a week or so we were station off the coast of Korea. I worked the flight deck then and I remember a period of time we were in cold weather and flying.  The meritorious unit citation was for not losing any planes or pilots during the wespac cruise.  This was told to me by a friend in personnel at the time.  If you found out something different let me know.  43 years is a long time to remember for my old brain.    

Kenneth Hensley

• hi Ken, I found the document from SecNav to USS Constellation and Attack Carrier Air Wing Fourteen: for meritorious service from 7 September 1969 to 30 April 1970 while engaged in combat operations in Southeast Asia and contingency operations in Northeast Asia. During this period, while conducting sustained interdiction operations in support of United States national policy, USS Constellation and embarked Attack Carrier Air Wing Fourteen inflicted extensive damage to the enemy's communications and transportation network and were successful in significantly stemming the flow of men and material from North to South Vietnam. This ship/airwing team consistently displayed exceptional airmanship, aggressiveness and diligence in support of the interdiction campaign and in meeting all operational commitments during a long and arduous deployment, The determination, perseverance and devotion to duty demonstrated by the officers and men of USS Constellation and Air Wing Fourteen reflected great credit upon themselves, their ship and the United States Naval Service. Signed by John H. Chafee, Secretary of the Navy.

I came across this info while researching for VA disability claim. Even found out what days we entered or left various ports of call. Anyway, thanks for your service.....

• We had the Battle E in the late 70's. Also allot of the records were lost in a fire. Mine was one of those. I've tried to get copies of my DD214 and was unable to. Just got a letter stating lost in fire.
    • FYI.....The squadron, VA-85, was awarded the Battle E for the competitive period from July 1, 1975 to September 30, 1976. The award was presented to the squadron when RC Allen was the C.O.at the time.
    • Hi Al,

Thanks for the info and got the same info from Paul Covey. However, did you check out the web site I looked at? This Navy info shows several awards in 69 thru 70. This is what I'm curious about.
This reply was deleted.