WHAT ABOUT NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS FOR CHRISTIANS?

No automatic alt text available.

GREAT GRAPHICS BELOW:

The practice of making New Year’s resolutions goes back over 3,000 years to the ancient Babylonians. There is just something about the start of a new year that gives us the feeling of a fresh start and a new beginning.

In reality, there is no difference between December 31 and January 1. Nothing mystical occurs at midnight on December 31. The Bible does not speak for or against the concept of New Year’s resolutions.

However, if a Christian determines to make a New Year’s resolution, what kind of resolution should he or she make?

Common New Year’s resolutions are commitments to quit smoking, to stop drinking, to manage money more wisely, and to spend more time with family.

By far, the most common New Year’s resolution is to lose weight, in conjunction with exercising more and eating more healthily. These are all good goals to set.

However, 1 Timothy 4:8 instructs us to keep exercise in perspective: “For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

The vast majority of New Year’s resolutions, even among Christians, are in relation to physical things. This should not be.

Many Christians make New Year’s resolutions to pray more, to read the Bible every day, and to attend church more regularly. These are fantastic goals. However, these New Year’s resolutions fail just as often as the non-spiritual resolutions, because there is no power in a New Year’s resolution.

Resolving to start or stop doing a certain activity has no value unless you have the proper motivation for stopping or starting that activity. For example, why do you want to read the Bible every day?

Is it to honor God and grow spiritually, or is it because you have just heard that it is a good thing to do? Why do you want to lose weight? Is it to honor God with your body, or is it for vanity, to honor yourself?

Philippians 4:13 tells us, “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” John 15:5 declares, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”

If God is the center of your New Year’s resolution, it has chance for success, depending on your commitment to it. If it is God’s will for something to be fulfilled, He will enable you to fulfill it.

If a resolution is not God-honoring and/or is not in agreement with God’s Word, we will not receive God’s help in fulfilling the resolution.

So, what sort of New Year’s resolution should a Christian make? Here are some suggestions:

(1) pray to the Lord for wisdom (James 1:5) regarding what resolutions, if any, He would have you make;

(2) pray for wisdom as to how to fulfill the goals God gives you;

(3) rely on God’s strength to help you;

(4) find an accountability partner who will help you and encourage you;

(5) don’t become discouraged with occasional failures; instead, allow them to motivate you further;

(6) don’t become proud or vain, but give God the glory.

Psalm 37:5-6 says, “Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.”

One thing that is the most above everything else:

HOW'S YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST?
DO YOU KNOW HIM?
HAVE YOU GOT AWAY FROM CHRIST?
DOES IT BOTHER YOU?
DO YOU NEED HELP?
NEED SALVATION?

If you were to die today, do you know for sure if you would go to Heaven?
If you arrived in Heaven and God asked you, "Why should I let you in?" - what would you say?
Do you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior?
If you are uncertain about the answers to any of these questions, I HOPE THE FOLLOWING WILL BE OF HELP TO YOU.

The Bible presents a clear path to eternal life. First, we must recognize that we have sinned against God: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

We have all done things that are displeasing to God, which makes us deserving of punishment. Since all our sins are ultimately against an eternal God, only an eternal punishment is sufficient. "The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

However, Jesus Christ, the sinless (1 Peter 2:22), eternal Son of God became a man (John 1:1,14) and died to pay our penalty. "God demonstrates His love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

Jesus Christ died on the cross (John 19:31-42), taking the punishment that we deserve (2 Corinthians 5:21). Three days later He rose from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), proving His victory over sin and death. "In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" (1 Peter 1:3).

By faith, we must change our mindset regarding Christ - who He is, what He did, and why - for salvation (Acts 3:19). If we place our faith in Him, trusting His death on the cross to pay for our sins, we will be forgiven and receive the promise of eternal life in heaven.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son so that anyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

"If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9).

Faith alone in the finished work of Christ on the cross is the only true path to eternal life! "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast"
(Ephesians 2:8-9).

If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, here is a sample prayer. I posted it in the Graphic presentation for you along with other valuable references for you.

Image may contain: text that says 'WHAT YOU BELIEVE ABOUT JESUS CHRIST AND HOW YOU RESPOND TO THE GOSPEL WILL DETERMINE WHERE YOU WILL BE FOREVER IN ETERNITY! HEAVEN OR HELL? GRAPHICS BY Chaplain Jerry'

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, text

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, meme and text

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –