In January of this year, the President signed legislation allowing veterans to salute the flag at parades, etc. This was mentioned in an article of my latest Fleet Reserve Association magazine. Unfortunately, I've "tossed" it and do not know the bill number, but it is for real.

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dave, I know what you mean! We have a 2-star on board the Slater and even though so many years have passed, I still have to put those two fingers to the brow! He keeps asking myself and others that since he is 84 and no longer active "would we please not salute and call him by his 1st name"! I told him that so long as he is covered with that command ball cap and I am too, I won't be able to oblige! He and all the other vets earned and deserve the respect! Now, there is the dilemma about what to do with our 90 year old Chief!!! If I salute him you know what he's gonna say!! So, just addressing him as "Chief" is the enlisted man's way of saluting a "working man"!

• My first post as a member of Navy Vets. Since I been in a military and until now that I am a Vet. I do salute the Flag even when I am driving. Specially on holidays that they put Flags on the streets.
  • HEY YALL!
    I would like all vets, police, fire, etc. members who may be here to do me a fovor. I work at a Wal Mart in FL. I don't think we are THE only store doing it, but we have a thing called the "WALL OF HONOR". I will attach new pics to my site of it. I would ask all of you Vets to please check you photo dept. at your local Wal Marts & see if they have one too. If so please bring in your photo so it can be posted to honor your service and show our support. If they dont have one, either contact the office in Arkinsas or the store manager. I want to thank you all again for your service to our country. Thank You.
  • Sorry. I didn't mean to get into a political tirad. This discussion is supposed to be about saluting. I just get worked up over what is going on at times. I was at the Air Fest at MacDill AFB yesterday and was proud to salute as the Stars Bangled Banner was sung. (Did I spell that right?) My freind there with me has a son in the Air Force Acadamey and my wife and I were there as volunteers working with my friend's association to raise funds for helping out the cadets. He asked me about my saluting and I explained about our authorization to do so. Keep spreading the word. Let's have every vet saluting every time we can.
    • Bill, if it takes a politial tirade, so be it!!!! I have not served in the military personally, but I have 2 brothers who went Navy & 2 sisters who went Army, & my late husband who was Navy. I will be forever greatful to ANYONE who serves in the military to keep us free. Anyone who speaks ill against my country &/or president is opening the door to listen to MY beleifs/philosifies. That is one of our rights you guys have all fought to preserve, so , dont apologise, BE PROUD!!
  • I used to call Clinton our first communist President. Heck! He was a conservative compared to this Marxist! I fear that this administration will damage our nation beyond repair. These mindless so-called representatives of the citizens do nothing to stop him and just keep passing more and more legislation that gives them more power over us and spends without any thought as to what it will do to our economy.
    • I know what you mean but nothing is unrepairable. It may take blood and sweat but it is repairable. As Vets, we all need to keep up on anything these bozo's in office do and make them accountable by any means possible.
  • As a matter of fact I was at a Alabama vs Auburn baseball game in Montgomery, Alabama two weeks ago, and left my Vietnam Veterans cover on and saluted the flag during the National Anthem. Got a few crazy looks but oh well, they will get over it.
  • its about time just because we are no longer in the service dosn't mean we don't still love this country
    and respect the flag and what it stands for god bless it we salute it and long may she wave
This reply was deleted.