Memories to share

What prompted me to start this discussion was an inquiry as to where the location was of a picture I posted. The picture was of Dave (Bosco), Red and Chow Dog, taken at the bus stop at Siginella Field, Sicily during the ’78 Med Cruise. As I studied that picture, I slowly began remembering little snippets of what I did or what wild activities went on at that time.First, I recalled our gathering for a cook out as depicted in a few other pictures I posted. It was a good time enjoyed by all. Another thought I remembered was how we used the fins of drop tanks to communicate with shop personnel aboard the FID. And as the thought continued, I remembered heading out to the ramp, removing a tail cone and stuffing it with a plastic bag containing preferred refreshments, reassembling the tail cone and marking the appropriate fin containing the booty for the guys back on the ship. At the time I was told that the containers would be nice and cold by the time the plane is secured on deck aboard the FID. Can anyone attest to that theory?We had some good times and unfortunately a lot has been forgotten. The intent of this discussion is to encourage those of you to share your experiences. Although you may have forgotten something, someone else may recall what you left out or expand the thought by adding details and hopefully bridge the gap.I think we’ll find that as this discussion grows, it will become a valuable source of information, a treasure-trove of sea stories, and most likely an enjoyable and interesting read.

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can't quite remember the F-4 crash but I do recall the incredible gash torn into the round-down. Was it before the BiCentenniel celebration (7/4/76)? I'm not sure if I was aboard then. However I do remember the A-7 crash. I was waiting for the recovery to be completed, watching the planes trap. I guess someone was watching over me at the time because on that particular trap, I was standing behind the island, across from the ordinance shute. My back was resting against the structure's bulkhead. So when the crash occured, I was well protected from debris and fortunately out of the line of sight. I remember the sound of the recovery wasn't quite right and then the GQ alarm sounded, followed by the "fire on the flight deck" announcement. I ran around the aft side of the island toward the wires and couldn't believe what I saw. I probably went into some state of shock when I observed what had happened. It was thought provoking and I remember the clean-up detail was an aweful experience. Fortunately, that was the last tragic plane crash I was exposed to.

Speaking of crashes, do you remember when the FID collided with the supply ship while we were underway? I was told that the supply ships (can't remember the name) controls was not working correctly and the FID's wake somehow guided it into the sponson. Don't know if that's true or a line of BS, but do know that there was quite a bit of damage as a result.
    • No it was an oiler, can't remember the name. It looked liked a drill, emergency breakaway, but instead the ship got closer and closer and the next thing was a big crashing sound of metal banging on each other. A couple of hoses, big hoses were lost at sea from the collision. I was in the hangar bay when it happened, waiting for the elevator to take Tanker 523 to the flight deck riding brakes in the cockpit. I was scared, but i stayed, can't go anywhere.
  • Does anyone remember Charlie Beshaw? I remember Charlie spent hours and hours into building his first airplane and it's radio control. He meticulously crafted each piece to perfection, including paint. I can't imagine what went through his mind that day when he set it on it's first flight. Checked the flight controls, engine throttle, gears, etc. Launch! There it went down the flight deck...up..banked...oh...no. Right into the drink! Down it went.....never to be flown or seen again. Bummer!
    • Now that I started thinking about Charlie, I recall during that last couple of months of our cruise, he decided he wanted out (I think for religious purposes) and was willing to accept a discharge other than honorable, even though he didn't have very much time left to serve. I still remember Chief Kanode bending over backwards to accomodate him by giving him "easy" duty, and how he tried talking Charlie out of his decision. I guess he made up his mind at the time that his miltary career was over. Wonder where he is now?
    • I remember charlie,he was a good guy and really intelligent.Did you know he got pulled over for speeding coming back from leave in that big ole bonneville he had.He must have been hauling it because they arrested him for reckless driving and he spent thanksgiving weekend in jail waiting to pay the fine.He also bought a brand new MG and totaled it 2 weeks later with no insurance.Come to think of he was kind of unlucky.
    • I remember when he had that MG. If my memory is right, he spent a lot of time rebuilding that car. Then he installed new leaf springs that were a little stiffer. I guess he wanted to improve handling. He told me that he believed that ride alteration affected the cars handling which ultimately caused him to loose control. I had a hunch speed played a roll in the accident. Nevertheless, the car was totaled.
This reply was deleted.