Interested in a reunion?

If your interested in participating in a possiible reunion, please let me know. I'm trying to get an idea of how many, where it would be and when a good time of year. Obviously it can't happen anytime too soon, but if enough of you are interested then perhaps it really can happen.Please, your input is always welcome!

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm not an expert at organizing reunions but I sure would like to get something going before we all kick the bucket and wished we had one. I was just wondering in the event we could get together, where should it be? Originally I thought Virginia Beach. But chances are NAS Oceana wouldn't allow us to tour the base, or would they? The senses would be reintroduced to the sounds of jets flying overhead and possible a whiff of JP-5.

I know that most of us have some good, possibly great memories of the area, and several of you may still be the area. Rhode Island was a thought that offered one last view of the FID before it most likely will sail or be towed to its final resting place. But I also wondered how difficult it would be for all of us to conveniently converge at one location and yet be entertained during our brief time.

So, I'm asking "all hands", if you're wanting to participate in a reunion and possibly contributing toward it's organization and activities, please sound off. I'd like to know your suggestions regarding where and when?
    • Another thought Al, The Oceana Air Show is always in Sept. , this year is the 17th, 18th and 19th. Might be a good time to do it in Va. Beach. Might be a bad time due to the crowds but I think the majority of people would be locals and so the hotels etc would be o.k. and its after Labor Day so the tourist season would be over. Maybe too late for this year but a thought for next maybe? If you want I will try to contact Oceana liason people to see about base tours etc and if they do such things.
    • Kim,
      That's an excellent thought. I wasn't aware of the air show. I don't have any connections living in the beach area so I'm not in tune of what's going on there, but I have a hunch it's now time to get on board. My gut tells me that this just may come together this year and September maybe the right time. I wasn't sure if NAS Oceana would allow tours but maybe they do. If it's not too much to ask, could you check with what your contacts say about base tours? That would definately be an incentive for a successful reunion. Thanks.
    • Al, I just spoke with a liason type person at Oceana this A.M. I have the contact info etc... A tour of Oceana is an easy thing to do according to her. Tour has to be done during normal working hours ,Mon.- Fri.. We must provide the transportation (tour bus) ,and only need a picture I.D. and of course not be on the terrorist watch list !!!! The base will provide a tour guide. Tour can go everywhere on the base but we cannot deboard or take pictures except at the static display and memorial inside the base where we can deboard and take all the pictures we want. Sounds like this part is a go ! Any other help I can be let me know. If you want to contact me on my email at the house the email is bigjake392@fuse.net. Phone # is 859-428-0306. Good luck on getting this together.
    • I'm voting for Va. Beach. I bet Oceana would host a tour etc. The Navy is all for that kind of stuff nowdays. I realize this would be a problem for some folks but if it worked out and turned into a nice event it could be moved to another location more central next time. The Forrestal's reunion is in San Diego this year which is a problem for some I'm sure but then again last years reunion was in Va. Baech and they've had it twice here where I live in northern Ky. Might be able to inlist some help from the Forredtal people Al. You need help - let me know. Let's start at the old home base !!
    • Thanks Kim. I'm all for it. Let's hear see what's on the minds from others.
  • Hi Al how you been I would be interested in a reunion DaleGeorge
    • Hi Dale George, this is Ben Kalu VA-85 line 1978-81, we worked together with Kunkel, mostly on night crew with Chet Garnett, as shop supervisor, how you doing? Did you do 20 years in. I always thought you're one of the best worker @ the time we were in 85 line. Anyway, nice to see you signing up to the site.
  • Let's do one of these Al !! Through this site and face book and Together we served I've hooked up with 5 guys now from around my area ( Ohio, Indiana, Ky. ) who would all be interested I'm sure. Va. Beach would be cool but not sure about some guys trying to get that far from other parts of the country. If at Va. Beach though, we could possibly get on base etc.. Putting a message out on Together We Served might get more participation as there a bunch of Va-85 guys on there.
  • Count me in!.
This reply was deleted.