USS Sierra (AD-18) 81-A Foundry 75-80

I had the pleasure of serving on the USS Sierra from August 1975 through February 1980. During this period I "played in the sand" with various molders including: MLC Thompson, ML1 Larry Watford, ML1 Tom Kitchen, ML2 Brian Manasco,ML3 Gary Deutch, ML3 Dan Schumaker, MLFN Keith Paradise, MLFN Jim Arnt, MLFN Skip Hoffmaster.

During this time we made two med cruizes, two trips to Pensacola,FL, two trips to assist ships in Norfolk, VA, a few trips out to sea to put in our required time per qtr, and when I left ship we had just "rode out" Hurricane David, then went into Hurricane Frederick disaster relief efforts in Mobile, AL.

Had some great experiences in CONUS and "across the pond", and wouldn't have traded it for "all the tea in China".-ML1 Michael Blakley

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I went through Molder A school with Tom Kitchen.  Trying to locate him now.

• TaughtschoolwithWatford
  • I
  • Wish i knew, would be gald to inform you. Also did know he made MLC, but does not surprize me. He was both knowledgeable, and had a great personality as well. While aboard, he was assigned mostly to MAA force, and even there he got along well with everyone, was a great asset to ship mission, and would "sneak" over to the foundry to see us whenever he was free to share a joke, and pass on any ship's skuttlebutt as most of us pretty much lived in the shop.
  • Also during the time aboard the USS Sierra I worked beside a very good buddy who was also a very inspiring individual to me, who also wrote the Patternmaker/Molder Manual in 1993-MLC Joe King. -ML1 Mike Blakley
This reply was deleted.