RTC San Diego

I was in Co 110 Apirl 4th 1974 . our cc was TM 1 Conklin .. Sure hate seeing the curent pictures of the base . I then went to TI in San Francisco and was ordered out to the USS Longbeach .. But hurt my back and was discharged ...  :(

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Welcome to 2015, Shipmate...I shot this at Camp Nimitz (Worm Island) on December 26, 2014...SDFD cadets learning to pack and haul hoses up ladders and stairwells of Barracks 88 & 89...training continues and the predominant color here is turnout coats and SDFD blue unis...3439450624?profile=original

• Thank You for the great picture of the TDE-1, also thanks goes to Jim Decota who sent in the picture of what happen to the base.

•    It's a crying shame that folks don't recognize the significance and importance of historic base structures until years after it's too late.

Bainbridge is where Bill Cosby went to boot camp. Doesn't look like much has been preserved, according to Jim's posted photo. (That's the women recruit training area pictured on the west side of the base.)

Here's NTC Bainbridge's version of the of a land-locked training ship:

3439408913?profile=original

Sadly, the community let their training ship get torn down when the base was closed.

• Yes it is a sad story what San Diego did with such a historic sight. The Last time I saw the TDE-1 was in 2006 when my First Ship had a Reunion In San Diego, When the Navy turned over the base to developers it all went down hill.
  • It is a shame that the long and historical tradition of NTC, San Diego became nothing more than a check mark on a page of the BRAC brats! Thankfully, some of it remains! Personally I think TDE-1 should be turned over to the control of Navy vets! Other Navy facilities fared less well. Use the birds eye view of Bing maps to see what has become of and what remains of NTC, Bainbridge, MD! That's just a sin! Here's just a taste of that sad story!

3439408700?profile=original

• A few years late in your lament...

This reply was deleted.