Join the effort to make the USS Recruit ours again!

If you went to NTC/RTC San diego then the TDE-1 holds a special meaning to you! Even if you went to GLakes or Orlando, your "Neversail" is gone and the TDE-1 represents you as well! A number of us on here are starting a movement and group to work towards having the Recruit serve as a museum of all the memories that millions of young men and women shared during boot camp.

We are in communication with a retired Master Chief in San Diego and his organization, the San Diego Naval Historical Assoc. He/they have worked tirelessly and for years to have a museum at NTC. We are hoping and planning on this group we put together to work with the Chief and the SDNHA to restore that dream and see it happen! There are many of us and many of us can get it done!

So, shout out here and let us know you are on board! We want whatever time and support(not money) you can give, even if only moral support! Do you know someone of position and influence that you think could help? If you are in the San Diego area and want to be on the front lines, then you are someone we need now!

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes...but she remains CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC because of structural issues...other than McMillin employees, no other persons are allowed ON or IN Recruit...

• So are you a "boots on the ground" San Diegan? Or trying to do this by remote control?

• Excerpt graphic from NSCC SW Region's proposal:
      3439451705?profile=original

• I would however, like to see the Sea Cadets use the Recruit! It is a very appropriate way for her to continue her role in training young future sailors!

• As a San Diegan (North Clairemont resident) and a former NSCC volunteer officer (PARCHE Division, NTC and GUNFIGHTER Squadron, NAS/MCAS Miramar), I hope you read the PDF file I attached to this discussion thread.

NSCC SW Region sent this to the San Diego City council for the Naval Sea Cadet Corps will take custody of recruit from the McMillin Company once a foundation has been established.

I also have walk-around and interior photos taken by NSCC LCDR Scott Oram from 2011 that he took as to the interior condition of TFFG-1. It's not bad, and the former classroom (later phone center) spaces are currently being used for storage by the McMillin Company and other organizations.

• I am still in this..  Been busy with VA stuff.. She needs some work (paint etc) but still there. 

• You know I am in.. Check you emails, there is progress, slow but progress.

• You have my support!
This reply was deleted.