Stationed from 1978 to 1980 VC-8

I was stationed at Roosevelt Roads from 1978 to 1980 mainly as a line crew member then in the OPs office. Being in the Navy was the best time of my life. The lovely weather. The great people. The awesome weekend trips and scenery. But, one unfortunate thing that happened was the horrific crash of our VC-8 H3 helicopter that contained 8 of our coworkers and crew members as they were on their way to St. Croix. It crashed not long after take off due to rotor failure. Pieces of the aircraft and what was left of bodies were brought back to our hanger. It was an aweful sight for me to see and has burned in my memory.  Of course, this accident has never been documented anywhere that I can find. Is there anyone that remembers this? This is catharsis for me. 

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was stationed at the Hospital from 77-79 and I'm sorry but I don't remember the crash.  I am looking for folks that are were around Roosevelt Roads around that period, especially other corpsman. 

• Was not stationed at Roosy, but about same time I was NavCommSta Fort Allen, Ponce,,,,,,dgl

This reply was deleted.