Navy Veterans

A Social Network for Navy Veterans of the United States of America

54 Years ago in mid-October I was sitting on my favorite bar stool in the “Top Hat Bar & Lounge on Daval Street with “Captain Morgan” when the Shore Patrol approached me & informed me to report back to my ship ‘Post Haste’ (they probably said " %#!^*@!! "). Upon arrival back at the JRP, the mooring lines were singled up and we were underway in a VERY short time without our Commanding Officer, Lcdr. Robert E. Brady…wonder where he was? Captain Brady was flown out by Helo later.

Myself & the rest of the crew spent the next several weeks on Port & Starboard Watch. In CIC I spent my watch rotation manning the Long Range Radar, ECM, and Tactical Voice Radio, DRT and Plotting Boards. Navigation out into International Waters was a Farce. Even back then there were LOOKIE LOO’s.

There were no loss of Russian Cargo Vessels bound for Havana Harbor. When challenged as to their cargo…they were always carrying “potatoes”…on long rectangular shaped boxes covered with tarps. (GIVE ME A BREAK). We were close enough to Havana Harbor that I could watch the ship dock next to the pier on radar.

After returning to port after the ‘Fiasco’ I had the opportunity to talk to my local resident friends and Military Families affected. All of the Gulf facing Hotels & Motels were evacuated & taken over by the Military and gun emplacements were constructed facing Havana. US Route 1 was also closed to traffic from Key West to well past Boca Chica to accommodate aircraft & other military equipment.

For the shipmates that were stationed in Key West during the Cuban Missile Crisis in October of 1962, what do you remember about those few weeks? In reference to the news clip does anyone recall which DE that was?

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Wm. Gardner aboard uss charles p cecil ddr 835 we surfaced  russian sub .After 40 yrs. found out they were carring nuke tortodoes, to use on fleet.

RSS

© 2018   Navy Vets, Inc. Created by Douglas Karr in accordance with regulations covering all websites which are not government websites, neither the United States Navy or the Department of Defense has approved, endorsed, or authorized this web site.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service