Replies

• Your respect is the sign of a true veteran.
    Thanks for your service!
    You could just remove the crow and then wear the Pea coat.
    • You have confirmed my first thought.  Thanks for for your answer.

• I am retired navy myself and served from 1973 to 1994, I still wear my unifroms and insignias on both uniform and u.s. navy retired ball cap, isee that so many others in my area do as well. north east Arizona hosts a large number of small communities and we all share one centralized VFW as well.

• I received a navy ball cap for Christmas this year from one of my son's in law who is currently serving in the US Army.  I will wear that with pride.  Thank you for your response and service.

• i DON'T SEE ANYTHING WRONG WITH WEARING A PEA COAT AS LONG AS NO INSIGNIA'S,  AFTER WW2 YOU COULD BUY NEW ONES ALSO NEW FOUL WEATHER COATS FROM PENNY'S DEPT STORES.  THESE WERE GOVERNMENT ISSUE, NOT MADE IN CHINA OR FOREIGN MADE.

• Since the Pea coat is part of a "uniform", it appears that it would only be considered proper at special occasions by retirees.  From the text below, I think wear by a veteran is not sanctioned at all.

Retired personnel may wear uniforms at ceremonies or official functions when the dignity of the occasion and good taste dictate. Wearing a uniform is appropriate for memorial services, weddings, funerals, balls, patriotic or military parades, ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is participating, and meetings or functions of military associations

Veterans. Curiously, the Navy Uniform Regulations do not contain any authority for the wear of the Navy Uniform by honorably discharged Navy veterans or Medal of Honor recipients

• Thanks for you insight.  I think that I will refrain from wearing my pea coat with any rank showing.  I would prefer to err on the side of a position that would tend to show greater respect to those who are currently on active service.

This reply was deleted.