DD214

I NEED SOME HELP.

MY FATHER SERVED IN WW2 AS A TAIL GUNNER ON A B25 OVER FRANCE, WELL LAST MOTH WE LOST HIM AND I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING A SHODOW BOX FOR THE FLAG THAT DRAPPED HIS CASKET, BUT  I DONT KNOW WHAT HIS AWARDS WERE BECAUSE HE NEVER TALKED ABOUT HIS TIME IN THE ARMY, BUT I DO KNOW HIS DD-214 WOULD SHOW HIS AWARDS AND THE PLACES HE WAS STATIONED AT, IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT KNOWS HOW I CAN GET AHOLD OF HIS DD-214?

THANK YOU

MARVIN LUCAS

USN-RET

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• next of kin can get dd 214 and records by contacting

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-ser...

I was able to get my fathers complete service record, about a inch thick, the military records are stored in Saint Louis as far as i know

Good luck   Ron Brabbin

• Marvin R. Lewis,

The final on trying to get my father's DD214, after years of working with the National Archieves personnel. Was that I received a letter, no letterheard or official seal, stating my father had served in the Army and the dates of active service, but no decorations or promotions mentioned. I asked them where they received this information and they said the FBI, I was surprized my father has a dossier. I hope your search turns out better than mine.

Best regards,

Richard Oropeza

• I got my fathers personnel file and 214, i went on line, just start on google inquire about government  forms.  I was directed to contact military records, i think in Saint Louis.  I even had to talk to people on the phone to get everything.  My father retired after 28 years his record was about a inch thick  all duty stations and decorations etc.

Good luck, Ron Brabbin

• Marvin,
    To start out, try contacting the Military Records Center in St Louis by phone at 314-801-0800. If they can't help you they should be able to direct you to the agency who can. Good luck.
  • Marvin R. Lucas,

I'm sure you probably know this but this is what I copied from the National Archives site:  

NOTE: The 1973 Fire at the National Personnel Records Center damaged or destroyed 16-18 million Army and Air Force records that documented the service history of former military personnel discharged from 1912-1964. Although the information in many of these primary source records was either badly damaged or completely destroyed, often alternate record sources can be used to reconstruct the service of the veterans impacted by the fire. Sometimes we are able to reconstruct the service promptly using alternate records that are in our holdings, but other times we must request information from other external agencies for use in records reconstruction. In some instances, therefore, requests that involve reconstruction efforts may take several weeks to a month to complete.

I am trying to reconstruct my father's US Army Korean War service and the units and decorations he was a part of and received...I know it's not easy but keep the faith....

All the best,

Richard Oropeza

• Marvin R. Lucas,

Did you ever get any information that you were seeking on your father? I'm still working on my request...hope to hear from them soon.

Best of luck,

Richard Oropeza

• You can go to evetrecs at the National Archives http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/
    You will find information there on how to apply for copy of DD-214 and other records

Jerry
    • thank you so much
This reply was deleted.