Agent Orange

Hi there....

I served on the USS Ranger (CVA-61) from 1961-1965.  I am in the process of applying for my disability and one of the questions asked is if anyone on the Ranger at that time could prove that we were subjected to agent orange while cruising off the coast of Vietnam during that time.  I remember several times bieng able to see the coast clearly as we were firing air strikes off the deck.  I picked up the ship in Yokosuka in September (?) of 1961 and went directly to Yankee Station off the coast of Vietnam.  We were bombing the Viet Cong as early as 1961.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks a lot....

Jack Smart

S-4 Division Disbursing

USS Ranger (CVA-61)

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• High Jake My Is Rick Barclay I served on the USS Ranger CVA 61 from 1963 to 1967. to tours in the south china sea, I was a MM-3 when I gout .  I have type 2 diabetes Parkinson medication for leg problems medication for depression, neuropothy in my lower extremities, I have been diagnosed with other aliments. Enough of that when i got out of the service we were told we could get money to go to school that's how i and allot of others  got there first home. What do we have to do to get what we were promised? I enlisted by the way it was expected of you. I gave you 4 years, you said you would take care of us . ( WELL WERE WAITING)  

• I served on the USS Jenkins DD 447 FROM 1965 TO 1968 AND MADE 3 TURS ON YANKESY STATION WITH IN ONE MILE OF THE COST LINE DOING FIRE SUPPORT. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I AM CONCERDED BLUE WATER AND NOT ELEGABLE FOR AGENT ORANGE  BECAUSE WE BID NOT INTER THE SIGON RIVER.

• I served aboard the USS Ranger in the S-7 Division from July 1965 until early March 1968.  I have often thought of filing for service related disability but was told about he Blue Water Sailors being disallowed.  I can remember one day in Febuary 1966 when the captain, Leo B. McCuddin announced that if you wanted to see the land of the enemy it was off the starboard quarter.  I and alot of the crew went directly to the flight deck.  We were looking at what the captain called the land of the enemy when someone started fireing at seasnakes swimming beside the ship. I asked one of the sailors up there with me what was going on.  The sailor said the captain was shooting his 38 pistol that the weapons department had given him on his birthday two days before.  My research has shown that the only birthday the captain had while in caommand of the Ranger was 1966.  This would mean that Feburary 4 th 1966 we were so cole to being incountry that I could have hit the land with a rock with no problem.  We stayed there all day.   I have had a heart attack, bypass surgery and I am now type II diabetic.       

• Hi I was on uss Wainwright D L G - 28  off of vietnam in 1966-1967 I HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES , neuropathy,heart attack,kidneytrouble they will not service connect me .will keep trying. good luck to all and god be with you.

• Jack, I was on the Ranger from 1965 to 1968 and have had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, spent 30 in the hospital with Pneumonia as a result of the Chemotherapy, Kidney Cancer having my right kidney removed, have Barrett's Esophagus, had Type ll Diabetes keeping under control by diet and Neuropathy over my whole body and I am not service connected.  Everything that would service connect me is not in my medical records but one thing should be in the ships log if I can get a copy.  I was in Navigation Division and also could see the tops of trees on shore when bombs would explode.  At one time we were having to DR for three days because of the overcast and our navigation electronic systems were down.  We still knew where we were by the aircraft info given to us.  I filed on November 16, 2010 for my benefits and according to the VA's on web site if you are Blue Water Navy and get Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma or being on Social Security Disability because of Non-Hodgkins you qualify for benefits but I am not holding my breath.  I have been on Social Security Disability for the last eleven years and I hope I live long enough to see Blue Water Navy sailors get there benefits. Good luck to you. Robert

• I was a 1965-66 Navy Vietnam Vet no matter what  the VA says. They are now calling us ERA if we  did'nt have two witneses to say we stepped foot in Vietnam, I was on board the USS Fred T Berry DD 858. We supplied gun fire  support for anyone who requested it. I have now suffered 4-5 strokes per the l, and one heart attack, per the VA Hospital, I have had claims in since 1997. VA keeps dodging the issue and denying claims. The Milwaukee VA  sent me to a VA Hospital doctor and then won't service connect after he said "I am going to service connect you". I HAVE HAD CLAIMS IN SINCE 1997. IN 1965 WE PLANE GUARDED THE USS RANGER AND ENTERPRISE TOO.
  • Hi, maybe I can help. I was aboard the USS Mazama AE9 in 1966 off Yankee station and we rearmed the Ranger many times with supplies and Ammo, We also carried Agent Orange and passed it on to whom ever needed it.. As of now here is the problem. The blue water Navy does nopt qualify because we never set foot on RVN soil. We would get close to shore and make fresh water out of sea water tainted with Agent Orange but never set foot on land. As of now just the Brown water Navy gets the bennies. The VA is still working on it.

ENC Retired Darrell Nelson
    • Hello Darrell,

I'm looking for info about agent orange on US Navy ships. Where did the Mazama pick up the AO drums from?

Dennis

• Hi Darrell....

Yes, thank you. I have done some more research since asking the question. You are correct. It now seems to be in the hands of the politicians in Washington D.C. and who knows what they will do with it. It was accepted by Veterans affairs for a time, then along came a new director and refused to pay for blue water sailors. They were sued by a navy commander, but still refused to acknowledge the importance of this. I have submitted my application, so if it ever becomes law, then they will have a lot of money to pay out, back to the individual filing date.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jackson
      • Only back one year at most.
This reply was deleted.