Navy Vets helping Navy Vets

A major part of our Transition Assistance Program (TAP) class covered networking through veterans groups such as the Legion and VFW. The gist of the briefs indicated that as we prepared to rejoin the civilian world, our experiences and work ethic would be best understood and appreciated by other veterans already in the civilian workforce.This was at least partially true. I put out 15 cold call resumes in my current field, and the only one that returned my follow up call was a Navy Vet. He had no job for me at the time, but he helped me find one.I put it to you that part of the purpose of a site such as this is to effectively network Navy Veterans already working in the civilian world to be a source of possible job leads to either recent retirees or those getting ready to take the leap.What do you think?KevinPortland OR

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First, we'd need to know whereabouts you were in order to check for local programs...
      • I'm in San Diego, CA. I was stationed here most of my time on active duty and now im using GI BILL for school but thats not enough somtimes.
  • I retired from navy 1977 during the last mess in Washington not only that treatment Vets rec'd after Vietnam Took me a long time find job that paid well.Any help a Vet can get in this mess is very helpful.I'am retired for good so I hate to think what I would feel looking work today. Good luck to you all.
    • Tommy,
      You may have retired, but you still have the social and business connections you made over the years. What field were you in? What specific education/training would make the difference for Vets trying to get hired on? I discovered early on that the only jobs that ever made it to the newspaper were the ones that they could not fill via word of mouth and networking. Where would a Vet look to find the inside gouge on where your field hired?

Kevin
  • Hi Kevin, I think that whatever we can do for our navy vets is a major plus....I can tell you that when I went through that transition, I started my journey off the coast of France (where my ship was roaming), and getting back to the states was all on my hands. They flew a few other sailors and I to shore (some from other commands), and we had to get to Naples to catch a mac flight back to the states. Now thats a story in itself. Once in the states (Norfolk, VA), this is where I went through the transition, but there was not enough information available to help me in the civilian world. If only I knew then what I know now, right?! Well, this website, along with us shipmates, we definately jump in and help those in need. I am in the trucking business, so whatever I can do would be my pleasure.
    • I recommed that we start a job leads "Command" here at this site. I was unemployed for 4 months and finally hired on at the Portland Or VA Hospital as a Patient Services Assistant. I can help folks navigate and translate the USAJOBS.GOV site. How bad is trucking getting beat up these days? I was laid off from a container import company and we were having the truckers we used just disappear into thin air when the cost of diesel skyrocketed.
  • If anyone is interested in Federal Service go to this website: http://www.usajobs.gov/

Check out the Veterans section and follow the guidelines on how to get hired. This is not just mail in a resume and hope for the best type of thing. On average it will take 6 months for an agency to hire depending on all types of factors. One CRITICAL part of the hiring process is the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's). When you read the Job description, they list KSA's. They will not be in a question format but that is how they really are. Look at them as if asked a specific question and answer them on a separate sheets of paper. Your resume may be Federally Approved but if the KSA's are not present or done incorrect, that good looking resume you worked hard on will be deep-6 into the trash.

Here is another helpful site:

http://www.hirevetsfirst.gov/

Federal Service not your thing, check out the Trucking industry. They are hiring all the time with Schneider trucking leading the field for us Veterans.

http://www.schneider.com/

Just ideas for everyone to think about.
  • I think it a good Idea I only wish I had a site like it when I got out.
    • Well, where are you working? What are you doing these days, and do you know any job openings you can post for your area?

Kevin
  • this is so great, we should help are not only navy vets,but veterans also to find a job.the job market is hard already and more cuts every day any help finding a job is so great we shouldall stick together and help each other any way we can that is what makes AMERICA great and i say GOD BLESS YOU ALL and IN GOD I TRUST
This reply was deleted.