Navy Vets helping Navy Vets

A major part of our Transition Assistance Program (TAP) class covered networking through veterans groups such as the Legion and VFW. The gist of the briefs indicated that as we prepared to rejoin the civilian world, our experiences and work ethic would be best understood and appreciated by other veterans already in the civilian workforce.This was at least partially true. I put out 15 cold call resumes in my current field, and the only one that returned my follow up call was a Navy Vet. He had no job for me at the time, but he helped me find one.I put it to you that part of the purpose of a site such as this is to effectively network Navy Veterans already working in the civilian world to be a source of possible job leads to either recent retirees or those getting ready to take the leap.What do you think?KevinPortland OR

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• to all my shipmates, i have been in civilian quagmire.....quagmire. it is a complete cluster f__k, a arab goat love fest... call it what you want. the normal civilian does not understand the buddy system.it is a screw you, i got mine, and i'll walk on your back and jam it in your 6 to get ahead.....I know...happened to me as a substitute teacher, and while i was trying to get a full time teaching position. finaly empolyed my self as a property manager so I could get a bean to eat...retired now.....I need some help guys, those of you that can...I am currently filing with the VA for a claim disability rating...Navy gave me one of 30% for hearing loss and tinnitus. VA said we did not give it to you so we dont recognize it. Now it is a battle to get a rating...found a good shipmate in west va, gave me pointers, had a few other WWII guys having problems, I am helping them, also army guys too. went to local VFW, no buddies there..I don't get drunk like they do...local legion water hole, same thing....no vet comradship/help a vet in trouble..not bitching just quantifing that all for me and f__k you. by the way I asked airdales for help in this blog...one AEC responded...guess i am not a shipmate of renown....need help guys, i will recipocate, not just airdales, but carrier sailors, and all others that have or got hearing loss and tinnitus...don't want to help, I understand..the prevarication of truth will always rule. you can reach me at papagils@aol.com, 775-867-4984, name is gil lopez, live in fallon nv.
    • hi guys..i recieved 2 blogs on my remarks ofnavy vets..1st to appoligize to two other air dales who answered my blog of help..sorry "devil made me do it"...got 3 responses...on from a ex-navy pilot...thanks larry, still working on it. to odell, no i am not looking for a job, looking for shipmates to help in a dire situation that those of you who will be trying to get help from the VA and others who have the capacity to help a vet will not come to the rescue of a drowning shipmate..THE VA AS GOOD AS THEY MAKE IT SOUND is not all advertises. I put out a call for help from the VFW & DAV magazines, got call from a 5 of ex-sailors and several from army vets. no marines..they take care of their own, tighter group i guess. anyway these responses except for maybe 3-4 were frome guy of the Viet Nam ERA...you know the guys they called 'BABY KILLERS " y the knowing press and and young adults of that era....maybe your own parents, who knows....1. i AM NOT A BABY KILLER , NEVER WAS.. i went to war because my president and the people wanting to make money off the war decided that my life and the lives of a whole bunch of guys were worth the expenditue to make money....now the same people that stayed behind and called us baby killers stayed behind and got all the good jobs, became management and lots, i mean lots, refused to hire us vets...if you don't belive me ask a NAM VET, get an education of what they went through...spit on, shit over the bay bridge in bags, cussed out, refused service in bars and resturants while in uniform..list is long...these guys went through hell in war, come back to eat crap, from civilians who sat back and made bucks. these same vets got to the point of lying on their apps for employment, never to mention their time in nam...yep ! pushed up the divorce rates, jail population, no one understood them. untill some one came up with an idea later on to market this group of people so they could have a better job as doctors, you know the kind, pyschologists, administarors of helping orgaizations list is long...this system metamorphised to the preset system in effect today....ok, to the point, nam vets treated like crap..now all vets from gulf war to presnt are heros. never should have been...a vet is a vet no matter when he served, treat him with respect for what he went through, see a WWII vet, hug the guy, shake his hand...4-5 generations of americans would not exist nay..the world..your american language would be german and japanese, or a combination of both...i am not laying a guilt trip on you, just the facts...no i am not looking for a job or a hand out..i am 71 years old, belong to VFW, DAV, now retired, licensed 1-12 grade school teacher, ex-real estate broker, made money by property management, aquired some properties , down to 2, lost my ass off this . all this i did while people would sand bag me, yea! i am tough...you know what..the navy taught me this , tough, stick it out, don't give up...see how many non-vets have that.. what i want, as i said many of you have answers to work the systems out there, and combining, getting this buddy system as NAVETS is a great start...help a shipmate. 1 don't use you NAVETS to aquire wealth, use it to help a shipmate, be friends, buddies, xmas card exchangers...try to that in the war countries, and walk in fear. my problem is the va has sandbagged me as of the 1980" on hearing loss and tinnitus, been working on it since...many of you airdales have ringing in the ears, called tinnitus, hearing loss from A/C engine noise, shipboard blackshoes, machinery sound, gunners 5 incher blasts, other injuries...well you need thehelp of buddies to work the system..AUDIOLOGIST, AND ENT-OTOLARYNOLOGIST balk at gining you a statement hat says WAS MOST LIKELY CAUSED IF NOT' by work performed in military service....sooooo we have to help each other and make the system help...THIS NAVETS IS THE SYSTEM. if you are worried about spelling, grammer...forget it you learned nothing...call me if you don't understand..name is GIL LOPEZ, AMHC, USN (ret). live reno nevada...775-867-4984, e-mail papagils@aol.com...hasta la vista m.f.
    • hey gil, my name is Odell. just read your post and im not sure i understand it all, but if its a job your looking for or some extra income on the side check out this website i own : www.odellmason.com
      sign in with your email and phone # then watch the videotours.
  • Couple of weeks ago I received a call from a Trucking School and was offered an opportunity for free training. Apparently, the Federal Government has allocated money to the Dept. of Labor (DOL) to give out Grants for Military Personnel for training that will lead to gainful employment. The school director told me of two grants that his school was awarded. The first grant is geared towards Veterans who left the service in the last 48 months. The second grant is for Veterans of all era's. To qualify, you need to have an honorable discharge and be employable. I am not sure about a General Discharge but that is something you would need to discuss with the training facility.
    So far, I am one of the first to accept the offer and only 6 out of 18 Veterans have qualified so far. If you are interested about his school and the grant then contact Ken of American Truck School at 925-753-0220 here in California. If you need his email then email me first and I can send it to you. With today's economy, it may not be a bad idea to expand your horizons.

Now before you jump the gun and tell yourself "I don't want to be a trucker!" This is just one school of many so you need to contact any of the schools in your area to see if they have been granted money to retrain Veterans at no cost to you. This could be any school from Art to Zoology, this could be a possible opportunity for you serving Our Great Country. Another way of finding out about programs for Vets is just to contact the Dept. Of Labor or the VA but be warned that you will likely hit a wall when calling the feds. You can also try this website to find money if it works for you:

http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/home.aspx

Best of Luck to any of you and sure hope this helps anyone.
  • This has been quiet lately. How is everyone doing on looking for work? The market is saturated with people looking for any kind of work. The Dept of Labor sent me through training for a Security Officer do to my Federal Agent experience. At the California Guard Card class, we had all types of people from various fields changing "careers" because of lay offs. Security Officers at all levels tend to be almost recession proof. Since that class, I have had interviews almost weekly with one company (Signal 88) hiring me right at the interview. Unfortunately, they did not offer any benefits and with three young kids, it is a must have.

Another option I am looking at that may interest some of you is trucking. You can attend a trucking school or go with a company sponsored training. The catch with the company sponsored program is are likely will have to dedicate a year of work to them plus a deduction is taken out to repay for the school (not always but may happen). Two possible truck companies to look at would be USA Trucks and Central Refrigerated Service. One company that is ALWAYS hiring and from my understanding, the worst reputation is CR England. They off training as well just be warned of that company. My trucking buddy also warned me to stay away from them.

Anyways, just couple of ideas for my fellow Navy Vets if you are looking for work.
    USA Truck - Capacity Solutions
    USA Truck provides comprehensive capacity solutions to a broad and diverse customer base throughout North America. Our Trucking and USAT Logistics di…
  • I came across this discussion in the course of my work. I help former and transitioning military people find jobs in the private sector every day. I do military placement, and although it is not technically correct for what my company does, I don't mind the term headhunter. My services are always free to the job seeker, employers pay our fees when our candidates are hired. I specialize in geographic placement, helping vets find satisfying employment where they want to live across the United States EXCEPT in military concentration areas like Norfolk and San Diego. Employers typically don't pay fees in those areas. I can't place everyone, only those skill sets that employers are willing to pay my company a fee for, but I do try to help every vet who contacts my company the best way I can. My website is the best way to reach us. www.thehonorbridge.com
    • Doug-

Hope it is ok that I posted this Widget? If it is fine then maybe we can start a Veteran Job Search page with a widget like this on top for anyone to use.
  • hey guys, are there any programs that offer assistance until you get a job? like for rent, car payments, groceries. stuff like that.
    • Check out your local VFW and American Legion as they may either help or find the information for you that is local.
This reply was deleted.