A Place Called Vietnam

I do not know who wrote this, but my hat is off to him. I did however change it a little. I don't care who you are or how old you are, you have to see this. If you didn't live through this era, then it is your duty to learn about it and to remember it and to honor those men and women who valiantly fought for our country. Sons and daughter, never forget what your parents went through. People who lived through this horror, remember that these were our brothers, our husbands and wives, our cousins, our close friends, our school mates. These are all the people we knew and loved and we should never, never, never stop honoring them as the heroes they are/were. See this, hear this, and cry. You won't be able to stop yourself as you think of the people, both living and dead, that fought in Vietnam. No one was left untouched by this time in our history. May God bless all of your hearts and souls and know that we will never forget any of you or ever be able repay you for your sacrifice...A Place Called VietNamSome gave a little;Some gave a lot;Some gave everything;We all gave something.. http://www.operationmom.org/ToOurParents.htmlIt saddens and upsets me when I ponder those people who did not honor our Country and our people at that time. We did not have a choice, we were serving our Country then as the men and women are serving their Country today in far away lands for my freedom and yours._________________Gerald Hannah U.S.S. Orleck 1966-1969

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I cannot wait when Palin and Biden debate on TV. I did not see the Charlie Gibson interview but I read she kicked butt.

Amazing they question her qualifications for the office she is running but praise obama whom has the least experience of all them.
                  • John,

For some reason the 'reply to this' link was missing so I I click on my own post.

As for the attachment on Palin. That is excellent information that should be posted here. Unfortunately, a segment of society will dismiss all proof that she is more than qualified for the position because of one reason or another. Liberals do not have a habit of listening to reason. Then you have some one like my friend who will not vote a woman into office at any costs. Yes, he seems to be stuck in the past.

Anyways, good reading and everyone should take a look at it. Thanks bud!
                  • Some one sent me this a day ago,kind of slaps obama in the face as far as her qualifcations. What do you think, Tim?

Fw_ Subject_ SARAH PALIN'S SECURITY CLEARANCE.eml

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3439451883?profile=original
  • I was very moved by this tribute and consumed the reality of a war I never fought in. I am a Vietnamese translator and did my first tour off the coast of Saigon in 1981 aboard the USS Monticello. I had to translate on behalf of the Navy after a rescue of Vietnamese refugees or Boat People. I went back to Vietnam many times since and I am moved by the presence of so many cemetarys,burned out tank shells and the tales of American courage by the people who are still trapped there.
    Being the son of a former POW, I have my own reasons to cry when I see tributes such as this one. The levels of courage and the lack of respect towards American soldiers during those days just overwhelmes me, I wish it was more of the respect soldiers get today...
    If no one has ever said this to you before,I want to be the first then,"Thank you for your service and the blank check you wrote for your life"!
  • Very nice dedication. I must admit, the only thing I know about the Vietnam War are the stories from veterans who were there that I have met along the way. Their experiences is worth sitting down and lending both an ear and a shoulder.
    My father was offshore on the U.S.S. Hornet during the war but I know very little of his experience. Unfortunately, I will never get to hear from his own words what that experience may have been.

Gerald, Thank you for sharing and from a Veteran who comes from a long family line of Military men, God Bless you all.
    • As a Destroyer Sailor I spent a lot of time chasing Carriers doing Plain Guard detail about 4000 yards behind them.
  • I was born in 1968, Gerald. I'm probably not as knowledgeable about Vietnam as I should be. I do know visiting the Wall in D.C. put it into perspective, though. It's impossible to walk through and not shed a tear. My daughter will be there tomorrow on a High School trip - I'll see if I can't share some of the photos here when she returns.

God Bless,
    Doug
    • I have not been to the wall in D. C., however the traveling wall has been to Millington, Tn. on three different occasions. I shed tears every time I visit it. I was one of the lucky ones all of my time two and a half years was on the USS Orleck. She kept all of us safe, we were only fired on one time and that was in 1967 during operation Sea Dragon. The ground pounders and the fly boys are the ones who had it rough, I had two friends who did not make it home. Both off the Orleck who put in for Nam.
  • hi gerald i just read your blrb on nam,it was moving. i spent two years in country,and a year off the coast on the ddg 4.ihave four children from 44 to 32,all they know about nam is that i was gone a long time.i have spent a little time in the physc ward and they just laugh about it.they dont give a dam about nam or those who were there. keep up the work ,it is people like you , that made that tour of duty worth while. j.b.atkinson / usn/ret.
  • Hi, Gerald.
    I tried to visit your site but could not get through to it. I'll try again in the future. I was never "in country" but I am a Vietnam era veteran. There was no room for nuclear subs in the waters of Nam. We kept a very heavy hammer over the Russian Naval Base on the Kamchatka Penninsula. I still will not watch a movie with Jane Fonda in it. I hope that I get to successfully visit your site.
    Bill Karr
This reply was deleted.