A New Uniform coming soon for the US Navy!

I was really surprised when I read this: Rollout of New Navy Uniform Adjusted Has anyone heard about this? Is this in replacement of navy dungarees? I did a search online for pictures and found some pictures of the Royal Navy in blue camouflage but haven't seen ours. Curious... when is the last battle we could have saved Sailors if they were camouflaged? Sounds like a nice congress money-making scheme. And shouldn't they be gray instead of blue?

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree, another way of spending money, leave the uniform the way it is or keep it looking like a tree they already have these in stock. money has already been spent.
  • Why not? Make the camouflage blue with white wavy lines for the uniform so they look like the whitecaps of the ocean as you run around on the deck. Either that gray with black non skid patched on so you look like part of the deck. Sounds like another way to spend tax payer hard earned money.
  • i have heard and seen pictures of the new working uniform, and yes it is replacing the dungaree, why i don't know but if the upper brass wants us to lok like trees makethe uniform green, after all the sea bees already wear the green camoflage as well as security personel, so why spend more money to change the color when they already have uniforms in stock. like you it makes no sense except someone in washington made alot of money for doing very little.
    Marvin R. Lucas
    USN-RET
  • Yes sir I'll go with the hide you from the sharks opinion. That's the best one for the change that I can see. Tim, we didn't have any baggy flight deck trousers when I was in. We wore our patch pocket bell bottom dungarees, with our long-sleeved turtle neck devision colored shirt, with our easy slip off liquid oxygen boon-dockers.
    Sounds like BS to me too, just something about tradition.
  • I hope they keep the Crackerjack dress blues, but I guess that's not really an issue. As an (ex)airdale, I hope
    they reconsider small metal rank insignia, which is just asking to be a f.o.d. problem. (Foreign object damage,
    getting sucked into jet engines, for example.)
    (And no shine shoes? How will sailors fill their time?) rotfl
  • Look on Military.com see what old salts are saying about it . I joined the navy a lot had to do the uniform the way it was in the 50's not the Zummie stuff. BMC Tom Wallin
  • Q1. What is Task Force Uniform?
    the 21st century. The vision of Task Force Uniform is to give Sailors a cost-effective set of the
    21st century. The vision of Task Force Uniform is to give Sailors a cost-effective set of
    uniforms that present a professional appearance, recognize naval heritage, and offer
    versatility, safety, ease of maintenance/storage and comfort. The vision is to also provide a
    more user-friendly uniform regulations manual that supports compliance and enforcement.
    more user-friendly uniform regulations manual that supports compliance and enforcement.

Q2. What is the primary purpose of TFU?
    eye toward reducing the number of uniform items and increasing interchangeability; and to 0-
    10, to be worn at sea or ashore, across all communities and a year-round service uniform for
    document.
    E-6 and below; to evaluate the usefulness of each uniform item against specific factors, with an
    document.

Q3. What new uniforms has the CNO approved?
    A3. CNO has approved two uniforms:
    1) A single Navy working uniform for wear by all sailors E-1 to O-10 -- at sea and ashore and
    across all communities. This BDU-style uniform will feature three color variants: a
    predominantly blue digital pattern for the majority of our navy and shipboard use; and a
    woodland digital pattern and a desert digital pattern for sailors serving in units requiring those
    types of uniforms. It will include an eight-point soft cover and black smooth leather boots.
    Black suede no-shine boots will be authorized for optional wear for those assigned to non-
    shipboard duty commands. Boots appropriate for the woodland and desert uniform will be
    introduced.

Miniature silver anodized metal rank insignia for petty officers will be worn on shirt and blouse
    epaulets, on which petty officers will wear large silver anodized metal rank insignia. Those
    entitled collars. This uniform will include a black Eisenhower-style jacket with a knit stand-up
    collar and to wear gold chevrons will continue to wear gold chevrons as the jacket’s large metal
    rank insignia. epaulets, on which petty officers will wear large silver anodized metal rank
    insignia. Those entitled to wear gold chevrons will continue to wear gold chevrons as the jacket’
    s large metal rank insignia.

Q4. What criteria were used in making these recommendations /changes?
    A4. The recommendations were made based on interviews with Sailors, command site visits,
    comprehensive research and data collected from two Navy-wide uniform surveys. The surveys
    collected feedback from more than 60,000 Sailors throughout the Fleet. Other key factors that
    went into the decisions were survey data received from Sailors who participated in a 7 month
    wear test.

Q5. What were the surveys based on?
    A5. The initial survey was developed and based on the Task Force Uniform charter, and the
    four core tasks outlined in it. The survey did not encompass every uniform issue in the fleet.
    The specific tasks for the task force included:
    1. Develop alternatives for a working uniform for E-1 through 0-10, to be worn at sea or
    ashore, across all communities.
    2. Develop a service uniform for E-1 through E-6 which can be worn year round.
    3. Evaluate the usefulness of each uniform item against specific factors, with an eye toward
    reducing the number of uniform items and increasing interchangeability.
    4. Streamline and simplify the uniform regulations into an easily understood and enforceable
    document.

Q6. How will the changes be implemented?
    A6. The uniform regulation and policy recommendations approved by CNO will be announced
    and implemented via NAVADMIN message traffic.

Q7. Why are we making uniform changes again?
    A7. In the past we have made minor quality improvements to Navy uniforms with limited
    scope. This transformational change is based on ensuring we have the right uniforms for
    Sailors of the 21st century. We listened to Sailors and their concerns, and made the changes
    based on their desires and the mission requirements of the Navy.

Q8. Will the Cracker Jack uniform go away?
    A8. Task Force Uniform is a multi-phased initiative that involves a comprehensive and on-
    going review of all Navy uniforms and regulations. Currently the jumper uniforms are under
    review for improvements in fabric, fit and appearance only.

Q9. What will it cost me to convert?
    A9. Sailors entitled to a clothing replacement allowance will receive the reflective amount of
    any potential cost changes.

Q10. When can I start wearing the new uniforms?
    A10. Sailors assigned to Type 2 duty will be the first to receive the new uniform. It is expected
    to be available starting Summer 08.

Q11. Is this the final phase of uniform changes?
    A11. Phase two of TFU will consider the cost and feasibility of additional uniform options, to
    include a service dress khaki uniform for chiefs and officers; the use of a ceremonial cutlass
    for chiefs; and a service-wide physical training uniform. TFU will continue efforts already
    underway to evaluate and study current officer and enlisted dress uniforms, and investigate
    the practicality of improving the all-weather coat.

Q12. What is the cost/budget for the new uniforms?
    A12. The total projected cost of TFU is $433M over the 24 month rollout period, which
    spreads over Fiscal Years 2008 and 2009. Included in the $433M is $224M in Navy MPN
    program implementation costs.

NWU.jpg

service uniforms.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3439387948?profile=original
    • Great info MAA!

I really can't imagine walking around in a baggy camouflage outfit getting hung up on everything in the engine room! Good 'ol dungarees or coveralls still have my vote!

And, if I were a topsider, I think I'd want the outfit to be anti-camouflage. I'd like a nice yellow/international orange so the rescue swimmers could find me easier. ;)
      • I for one cannot wait to see the dungarees go bye-bye. From the Airdale community, we hated the dungarees but loved our coveralls. On deck of a carrier we had our baggy flight deck pants which I would rather wear even on base. These changes will be good but time will tell.

I heard on a Navy Podcast, that the crackers jacks are going to be everything MAA posted but also one uniform for all year use.

You make a great point Doug about the camouflage uniforms if one was to be blown over board. We had that rescue dye in the vest plus a strobe light but what if you get knocked out?

NavyMAA, Great info!
This reply was deleted.