Getting out the Word on NavyVets.com!

The most difficult part of getting any social network up and running is finding new folks to come aboard. I've gotten feedback from quite a bit of folks - some didn't like that there was advertising (it defers the cost of the site) and some see it as competition to their own website. I started Navy Vets because I didn't like the large sites that were owned by mainstream media (the same guys that don't care for the military), so I wanted a place where we could all share our stories, photos, video, etc. What are your ideas? How can we get the word out? I think the best way is through invitations. I'm spending (a lot) on Google Adwords right now and it seems to be working. What other things can we do to make NavyVets.com the best and only place that sailors and their families need to go online?

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been trying to pass the word around to other sailors and marines when ever possible. Even playing my online game (Aces High 2) I pass on the word.

The site is so new that most do not know about it but over time with the help of the search engines and word of mouth it will hopefully be popular. Shoot, Google your name and this site may show up under the search results. It did for me. Now that upcoming events can be posted for all of us to see. This can also help get the word out. As soon as I hear about U.S.S. Iowa being moved to her new home then I will post that information for example. She is anchored at Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet which is not far from me.

That is cool that you kept in contact with your military buddies. Most of mine all went our separate ways when we left Active duty.

Take it easy bro and stay cool in that heat lol.
            • Yah, they have the USS Monticello there also and I understand that they just removed the flight deck because it had alot of wood in it and they are getting her ready to sink her in the ocean somewhere.
              • I rather sink a ship than sell her for scrap to India or any other country. Our ship recycling program is flawed, then again, not surprising since it is ran by our Government.
                • I totally agree. Anytime we help another country with weapons and equipment,they turnaround and use it against us. Now look at all the new weapons we are giving to Iraq, you know that those will be used against us if they aren't being used against us now. Ain't that a bunch of horsehockey?
    • You're most welcome, Tim! Thanks for the kind words! I will continue to try to keep spammers out. I think we may have one in here, but they've provided no evidence so I can't boot them. I am watching, though! As well, they can't actually extract any of your data so I feel like we're safe and secure in here.

There are a few badges available for posting elsewhere:
      http://www.navyvets.com/main/embeddable/list

If you're on Facebook, we have some apps out there, just look for NavyVets!
  • Doug, good luck with this site. As a Navy Vet it is great to have one that is strictly Navy. I must admit that the sight and sounds of a ship at sea still makes me want to get underway. I miss this part of my past life. It is hard for anyone to understand unless they "have been there and done that". I know we usually remember only the good duty stations, ships and liberties, but the difference between working at anyother job and being in the Navy is that you are never doing the same thing over and over again. Even if you were doing the same thing over again, at least you were doing it in a new place. I think you know what I mean. Again, good luck with this site. Frank Bartolotta
    • Thanks, Frank! I agree. I used to sit out on the deck of the Spartanburg County and just stare out into the night... the diesels purring, not a cloud in the sky, the ocean looked like it was glowing in the moonlight. Some of the best times in my life - all alone out there! I really want to see folks take advantage of this site to capture those moments. There's so many sailors I meet with so many stories - we needed to put them somewhere and I hope NavyVets is it!
      • Doug, it is the stories that the sailors have that make this site something that you should be proud of. So many of us served and went home to return to our lives and never really spoke of our experiences again. It was especially true of my service during the Vietnam War. I never went in-country. I served at the Naval Hospital Philadelphia doing orthopeadic stump revision for the amputees, mostly Marines, returning from Nam from Dec 64 until Nov 67. Then I went to independent duty as the X-ray tech at the Staion Hospital Argentia, Newfoundland. Someday I will put all this to paper and share it with others.
  • Thanks Doug for setting this up. We need a place to tell old sea story's and lie to one another. Kind of like being in the goat locker.
    • Amen, Jim!

The best way to tell an old sea story here is to use your blog. You just name it, and write up your post. It will show up on the front page for the world to see. I hope to see some from you, Jim!
This reply was deleted.