Getting out the Word on NavyVets.com!

The most difficult part of getting any social network up and running is finding new folks to come aboard. I've gotten feedback from quite a bit of folks - some didn't like that there was advertising (it defers the cost of the site) and some see it as competition to their own website. I started Navy Vets because I didn't like the large sites that were owned by mainstream media (the same guys that don't care for the military), so I wanted a place where we could all share our stories, photos, video, etc. What are your ideas? How can we get the word out? I think the best way is through invitations. I'm spending (a lot) on Google Adwords right now and it seems to be working. What other things can we do to make NavyVets.com the best and only place that sailors and their families need to go online?

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Tim,Douglas and Rebecca and Aloha to everyone else,
    I've got to tell you that the weather has been weird here and everywhere else. Beginning of the week you are freezing your butt off and then a few days later, 98 degree heatwave. Talk about giving someone a stroke,lol.
    For the last three days in Honolulu has been weird weather too. Cloudy, foggy and drizzle and not your topical weather for Oahu this time of the year. How is the weather where you live?
    • Sorry I'm replying so late, Todd. The weather has been nuts for a few months here in Indianapolis. I never know whether to wear a t-shirt, coat, or sweater... or carry an umbrella!
      • No problem Douglas, I know that you've been very busy with this site and you're doin' a great job!
    • we are in the high 70s to low 80s here in Northern California. On a normal day, we would get a nice afternoon wind, not breeze, but wind yet today no such luck. The lack of wind makes the temps feel hotter in an non-air conditioned house.
  • Hello! Douglas I am sorry to say I have been away from here for awhile and golly! you have grown since I joined. This is really nice and I thank you for all your efforts and time devoted to this site. It appears to be paying off. Everything is so new! I am sure it is great for the Navy personnel present and past to have a place of their own. God Bless Them ALL and I personally thank them for their service, for without them we would not have our Freedom! I promise as a Navy wife I won't interrupt any of the Navy service personnels forums, etc. This will be a treasure for them. I am just glad you let me join back when I did because I was looking for anyone that served on the USS Allagash (AO-97) stationed in RI during 1968 -1970. Thanks again!
    • Good to have you back, Rebecca! One of the great things about social networks is that it's the network itself that makes it grow - so you folks deserve the credit!
  • Hi Doug and fellow squids-

I really like the idea of a "Navy Veteran" only site. I also agree on how you approve people vs, anyone just signing in and taking up space. I just hope the spammers stay away. As the newest Vet on board, I have been decorating my page and even posted my link along with a small blurp about this site to my MySpace account. Since I do play computer games, I will pass on the word to other Navy Veterans that I do run into.
    Maybe I have not seen it yet, but do you have a icon or banner we could use for our other web pages?
    Doug, thank you for setting this site up and all the best on its expansion.
    • Aloha Tim,
      I hope you don't mind a few trees in here too. We still fall under the Department of the Navy. Some of the best times that I spent in the Marines was on Navy ships and ports. I had to train with Seal teams aboard ships and learned things from them that you just can't anywhere else and used to stay at a Seal Base in California at San Diego. Many Marines have died side by side with sailors and shouldn't excluded.
      • Hi Todd,

I am sorry I did not respond earlier. As for your comment, I could not agree more.
        • Hi again Tim,
          I have a bunch of friends that were Navy seals that I use to train with that are all out now. They are all having a big get together in Lauglin,Nevada this week and I will see them next week. I told a few of them about this site and none of them knew about it. I will get them to visit me here soon and talk about unclassified stuff,lol.
          See you soon,Later Brah!
This reply was deleted.