Getting out the Word on NavyVets.com!

The most difficult part of getting any social network up and running is finding new folks to come aboard. I've gotten feedback from quite a bit of folks - some didn't like that there was advertising (it defers the cost of the site) and some see it as competition to their own website. I started Navy Vets because I didn't like the large sites that were owned by mainstream media (the same guys that don't care for the military), so I wanted a place where we could all share our stories, photos, video, etc. What are your ideas? How can we get the word out? I think the best way is through invitations. I'm spending (a lot) on Google Adwords right now and it seems to be working. What other things can we do to make NavyVets.com the best and only place that sailors and their families need to go online?

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gerry,

Have you taken a look here: http://www.navyvets.com/main/embeddable/list

If none of the embeds work you can always right click and save an image that represents Navyvets.com (Bumper sticker at the store is a nice size) or right click view background image then right click save image as the round emblem. You will then need to manually link the images to the site.
      Just ideas.

-Tim
      • Hi Tim, yup I got the Picture Badge on my site and I also made my own
        just below it that came out really nice with the picture of my ship.
        Thanks for your help... Gerry (Frenchy DC3)
  • Doug,
    I was sent link information to your NavyVets web site yesterday by John "Ole" Olsson. I've been messing around with the site for several hours since joining. My impression so far is highly positive...why would I (or anyone else for that matter) want to reinvent the wheel with some other site? Not claiming to be an expert on all site details and operational intricacies, but from one who has been in the technology business my entire working life...just got to tell you that your efforts are simply amazing. Wish you great success on this project. Keep up the good work. djp
  • On a regular basis, I've been checking this site among others, trying to reconnect with old friends and acqaintenences. I've also mentioned NavyVets.com on my former units message board (Attack Squadron 85) on Military.com. So far, no luck. I did notice that Together We Served has been plugged on Forrestal Association's website. At one time I sent a message to the Forrestal Associations webmaster about mentioning NavyVets, but had no reply.
    I've tried spreading the word but so far haven't noticed new members joining my command. I'm not complaining, just letting you know of my efforts. Perhaps NavyVets.com should be recognized by the various search engines somehow. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to go about that task. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.
    • Hi Al,

What I have noticed with the search engines, type in your own name and see what you find about yourself. When I do that with my name, Navy Vets does come up at multiple times even with Doug's mug shows up under my name LOL. The images, posting on scuttlebutt, and other interaction on NavyVets.com will show up on the search engines as they use a crawling technique to build up the database of websites. I have also learned that the more visits a website gets, the higher ranking that website will get. I am working on all this for my own website (Family tree site) so I am learning as well.

I am with Together We served (free account) and noticed the same thing as you have. Just about everywhere I have an account with, you will see I post either a link or one of the badges to NavyVets.com on all my profiles. I even have a link in my email signature.

This morning as I was checking in on my myspace, I found a myspace spot for tin can sailors. What makes this exciting is that they have a lot of "friends" that are connected to the Navy. Adding them as a friend will hopefully get the circle of contacts rolling to my myspace and they will see the NavyVets.com badge. Hopefully they will see the badge, sign up with NavyVets.com, post a badge, and the cycle starts all over again.

If any of you fellow Sailors and Marines have a myspace and want to add me as a friend, please do. If you want the link to the tin can sailor myspace, just email me and I can get it to you. They have a lot of other Navy Myspace contacts so everyone should check them out. This could be a good source to spread the word.

Doug and His father have a good thing here along with the aspirations for its future. We can all do what we can to help this website grow as gratitude.
  • Aloha Tim, I didn't know that you were in the Golden State. Where abouts are you? I'm down here in Rancho Belago near Palm Springs area.It was 98 degrees and I can still see snow on the mountains here,isn't that funny? We had some Santa Ana winds here and that spiked the temps up over here.
    Later Brah!
    • Hey Todd-

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area in Union city which is SE of S.F. and about 30 minutes south of U.S.S. Hornet Museum. I grew up in the South Bay, San Jose area, and even lived in the Sacramento valley which like the Palm Springs gets very hot.

We hear all about those Santa Ana winds when they kick up. Occasionally we get the effects of those winds up here.

How often do you head to Hawaii?
      • I head over to Hawaii for two weeks every year. I just can't get enough of that place and have several friends that live there. How about you, have you ever been there yet?
        • Actually, I have Island blood in me but on the Atlantic side. I was born on Puerto Rico. My parents moved, to California when I was five years old. Since then, I have visited the island a few times. So, you can probably imagine I am a bit biased towards the Caribbean.

Hawaii is a definite trip with the goal of seeing Pearl Harbor. When I was in active duty all of that was on the East coast and the Med. other than the Cape Horn cruise with U.S.S. Indy when we brought her from Virginia to San Diego. A buddy of mine just recently shared his Hawaii pictures and "WOW" was all I could say partly because of his photographic eye. We both share that hobby.

I think we need a new link under the Scuttlebutt for general discussions as we both are taking over with a non-related topic lol.
          • I guess we rule over here,lol!
This reply was deleted.