Russia is to build new space and missile defence shields and put its armed forces on permanent combat alert, President Medvedev announced yesterday.In a sharp escalation of military rhetoric, Mr Medvedev ordered a wholesale renovation of Russia’s nuclear deterrence and told military chiefs to draw up plans to reorganise the armed forces by December.He said that Russia must modernise its nuclear defences within eight years, including the creation of a “system of air and space defence”.The announcement puts Russia in a new arms race with the United States, which has infuriated the Kremlin by seeking to establish an anti-missile shield in eastern Europe. The US argues that the shield is aimed at rogue states such as Iran, but Russia is convinced that its own security is threatened.More here:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4833037.ece

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yea Tim, it sure is putting us in a hell-of-ah predicament ain't it. Now look we have them floating around in our own back yard duck pond. Back in the '60 s this would have been considered an act of aggression and we would have been on the brink of war agian. My,my how times have changed.
    But yet, a Russian cargo ship is taken by pirates of the coast of Somilia, loaded with arms and ammo, and who's destroyer is first on the scene. We didn't hear Russia bitch'n about that,did we? No hell no, because we were looking out so nobody would be stealling their stuff of the ship.
    Now to beat all, we let this dumas from Iran come into our country and shoot off his arrogant mouth,I mean right on our front porch. I've heard of turn the other cheek, but come on. Lord help us all, we are sure going to need it.
    • Then you have this situation:
      http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/a...

I read about that Russian cargo ship that the pirates captured. Did you know it has Russian tanks on the way to Africa?

As for turning the other cheek. Never. Take notes and prepare for what ever needs to be done. Too many people turn the cheek as it is.

John, Good post!
This reply was deleted.