Lost G. I. Bill entitlement

I spent twenty-one years in the U. S. Navy. Never during my career did I once question the fairness of our Government or its' loyalty. In the past and in the present, the ten year limitation on use of the G. I. Bill continues. Tough luck if you didn't use your "gift" within that time frame. What was a blessing is lost and in these days of uncertainess, it would sure come in handy with a change of professions. Anyone have or heard anything on the policy being changed? Please understand, I am not hateful about this, but I feel those of us who lost this education money have been slighted.

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I didn't even know about the ten year limit until I reached it.
    • Veteran's organizations such as the VFW, American Legion, NCOA, Disabled American Vets, etc. are doing a bang up job presenting transition classes to those veterans that are leaving the service. Unfortunately, all veterans leaving are not afforded the opportunity to go to one of these classes, and it is just not right. There is so much information in these classes about what your rights and benefits as a veteran are, that I feel they should be mandatory for anyone leaving the military, with no exceptions. We veterans ourselves have got to do a better job of ensuring that those leaving the military know what their benefits are. Shame on the military for not having everyone go through a transition class and shame on the rest of us for not making sure our fellow veterans are aware of their benefits, and not have to learn it the hard way, which some of us have.
  • I agree with you Raymond. Most of us had to go to work when we got out of the military and really did not have time to go to school. By the time we were able to go to school the ten years ran out of course. I really think that someone should start a drive to get the VA to allow a veteran to keep his/her VA Education Benefits for life. I'll go along with not being able to transfer them to your spouse after ten years, but I really would like to see that not be there also. Our spouse could probably really use the benefits once we are gone.
  • I know what you mean as I used part of my G.I. Bill and planned on using it later. Life caught up to it real fast and I lost the rest.

Here is what I found on the new Post-9/11 G.I. Bill

"How long am I eligible?
    You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from
    your last period of active duty of at least 90
    consecutive days. If you were released for a
    service-connected disability after at least 30 days
    of continuous service, you will also be eligible for
    benefits for 15 years."

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

Post_911_Factsheet.pdf

• Thank you for the info Tim. I can only hope that sometime soon, they will modify there current policy and "grandfather" those of us who when we went in were told it would be available anytime. I went in the Navy in 1967. Stay in touch, it would be great to exchange service experiences. Your friend, Ray
This reply was deleted.