US Navy 2009

After this presidential election, what's the Navy going to look like? Are we going to continue supporting the greatest Naval force in the world? Or, with growing fuel prices and negative attitudes towards our world conflicts, will the Navy take one across the bow? Have either of the candidates spoken on supporting the Military?

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How fantastic, meeting Buzz Aldrin! My Uncle served on the USS Hornet during WWII.
              • Oh really? The Hornet is a National Landmark in which that title saved her from the chopping block. If it weren't for the last Commanding Officer of NAS Alameda, Hornet would have been something we read about in history books. I bet your uncle has loads of stories to tell and sure hope the family has them documented. The Hornet Museum staff is always looking for articles to display for the public to enjoy.

Today, she is struggling to keep her self afloat due to the economy and developers but she is still fighting the good fight.

Sorry Doug, I know it is off topic. ;)
                • Unfortunately, my uncle passed away as a result of a WWII injury 20 years ago. He also served on the USS Bunker Hill and Wasp. I believe he was on the Admirals staff and kept following the "flag". By the way, I am afraid I lost my cool with another member a few minutes ago. I think you know of who I speak. But I have enjoyed our conversations. Hope you can find that bill # about the 1st Admendment.
                  • I posted a link to the bill. It has not been fully passed but just the fact that you or I cannot discuss our dislikes of Presidents can cause an alarm to the Feds. Like Talk radio. I listen to talk radio all the time which as you know is under attack. Personally, that is a waste of energy when so many other issues in this Great Nation needs more attention. The people who attack seem to forget that the radio has other stations to listen too. Just like myself, I quit watching the mass media and local news for the one sided reporting that goes on plus it is full of negative news. Sure, I still watch news but not the alphabet soup group.

I will answer more to your other post as I need to run for an appointment. As for losing cool, everyone does lose it. I do not believe in booting people for opinions as that falls in what this discussion is somewhat about.

Do you have your uncles things or have access to them? A digital archive of his stuff is definitely something to think about.
        • I agree to disagree yet have a discussion as long as both sides are willing to listen.

This is kind of long but found this and wanted to post it:

FROM WND'S JERUSALEM BUREAU
          Napolitano pick raised funds for terror supporter
          Group labeled 9/11 attacks on U.S. a legitimate operation

By Aaron Klein
          © 2009 WorldNetDaily

Arif Alikhan
          TEL AVIV – An Arab politician recently appointed to a key position by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano helped raise funds for an Islamic group that has labeled a deadly anti-U.S. terrorist attack a legitimate operation, referred to terrorists as "freedom fighters" and equated Muslim jihad with the sentiments of American statesman Patrick Henry, WND has learned.

In April, Napolitano appointed Arif Alikhan, then Los Angeles deputy mayor of homeland security and public safety, to serve as assistant secretary for the Office of Policy Development at the Department of Homeland Security.

Napolitano praised Alikhan and another appointee, David Heyman, for their "broad and impressive array of experience in national security, emergency preparedness and counter-terrorism."

The Greater Los Angeles Area chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, likewise praised the appointment of Alikhan.

"Congratulations to Mr. Alikhan on this well-deserved appointment," said CAIR-LA Executive Director Hussam Ayloush. "Mr. Alikhan's new position reflects his and the community's dedication to helping preserve the security of our country. The American Muslim community can be proud of him."

WND has learned that just 13 days prior to his appointment by Napolitano, Alikhan joined the Muslim Public Affairs Council, or MPAC, for a special fundraiser called "Be the Change" to support what the group calls its innovative leadership development programs.

MPAC describes itself as "a public service agency working for the civil rights of American Muslims, for the integration of Islam into American pluralism, and for a positive, constructive relationship between American Muslims and their representatives." The organization has eight chapters in California and one each in Texas, Kansas, Nevada and Iowa.

According to Discover the Networks, MPAC asserts the Hezbollah terrorist organization "could be called a liberation movement" and likens Hezbollah members to American "freedom fighters hundreds of years ago whom the British regarded as terrorists."

Hezbollah distinguishes itself as second only to al-Qaida among terror groups responsible for killing the most Americans. It's responsible for such deadly attacks as the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing, which killed 299 servicemen, including 220 U.S. Marines.

Indeed, terrorism expert Steve Emerson notes that in a 1999 position paper, MPAC justified Hezbollah's bombing of the American Marine barracks as a "military operation" rather than a terrorist attack.

The group's senior adviser, Maher Hathout, explained: "Hezbollah is fighting for freedom, an organized army, limiting its operations against military people, this is a legitimate target against occupation. … this is legitimate, this is an American value – freedom and liberty."

According to Discover the Networks, Hathout has close ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, which urges the creation of an Islam-dominated world. Hathout also espouses the radical brand of Islam known as Wahhabism, Discover the Networks documents.

In a November 1997 speech at the University of Pennsylvania, MPAC Co-Founder and Executive Director Salam Al-Marayati steadfastly justified his group's refusal to call Hezbollah a terrorist organization. He also hailed the Hamas terrorist group as a political entity and a provider of social programs and "educational operations."

Discover the Networks notes Marayati equated jihad with the sentiments of prominent American Revolution figure Patrick Henry, whose "Give me liberty or give me death" declaration was, according to Marayati, "a way of looking at the term jihad from an American perspective."

MPAC also has taken an anti-Israel view, particularly after the start of the Palestinian intifada in September 2000. The intifada, or terrorist war, was initiated by late Palestinian Liberation Organization leader Yasser Arafat after he turned down an Israeli offer of a Palestinian state in most of the West Bank, Gaza Strip and eastern sections of Jerusalem.

MPAC co-sponsored pro-Palestinian rallies in the fall of 2000, documents Discover the Networks, where speakers reportedly chanted, "Khaybar, Khaybar, oh Jews, the Army of Muhammad is coming for you!" The rally reportedly featured literature and placards calling for the annihilation of the Jews and Israel.

MPAC has called Israelis "the worst terrorists in the world," lamenting the Jewish state is not found on the official State Department list of terrorist groups.

A few hours after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, MPAC co-founder Marayati told a Los Angeles talk radio audience: "If we're going to look at suspects, we should look at the groups that benefit the most from these kinds of incidents, and I think we should put the state of Israel on the suspect list, because I think this diverts attention from what's happening in the Palestinian territories so that they can go on with their aggression and occupation and apartheid policies."

Janelle Perez, a spokeswoman for Alikhan at Homeland Security, did not return a WND request for comment before publication.

In a telephone interview in April with India-West.com, Alikhan said he spoke to Napolitano briefly before the appointment was made.

"She said she was very happy I was coming on board," he said, adding that he was "very impressed" by Napolitano and her accomplishments.

Alikhan was born in Canada and raised in California. His parents are Indian and Pakistani. Before serving as L.A.'s deputy mayor of homeland security and public safety, Alikhan worked for the U.S. Department of Justice as the overseer of a computer-hacking program. He also was the vice chairman and executive director of the Justice Department's Intellectual Property Task Force.

This is not Napolitano's first appointment with ties to terrorism supporters. WND first reported Napolitano swore in to her official advisory council the head of an Arab American organization whose officials have labeled deadly anti-U.S. jihadists as "heroes" and opposed referring to Hamas as a terrorist organization.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, or ADC, also has close ties to anti-Israel professor Rashid Khalidi, whose association with President Obama – first exposed by WND – stirred controversy during last year's presidential campaign.

Theres more on this at this url, if you scroll down the page!!
          http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=104597
          india-west.com
          • Are you saying that IF one is of the Islamic faith, or from the Middle East, that person is a terrorist? And are you suggesting that we now should find everyone guilty, tainted, and ridiculed by "association"? I would hate to have to explain everyone one of my past acquaintenances as to their ethnicity, religion, politics, associations. I wouldn't believe everything I hear, or read from the ADC, or any other group. They all have their own agendas, not necessarily in the U.S.' favor. Tim, if I wanted to, I am sure I could find all kinds of blogs and posts on the internet to substantiate my beliefs and fears. But I don't subscribe to a single news source. I try to read and listen to all points of view and perspectives, and then make a valued judgement. Sometimes I am wrong, or ill informed, sometimes I'm right.
            • No I am not saying that. The article is aimed at the shady characters that keep getting promoted. I for one do not believe just because you are of one religion, in this case Islam, that you are bad. If that were the case then my last surgeon would have been told keep his hands off of me. My point in posting was to show how this administration keeps appointing people with very questionable characters.

I too read and listen (XM Radio) to all kinds of news sources. I do welcome if you and everybody to post what they find. It is makes the conversation interesting and different angles of the view.

You did make a comment about how you felt the Constitution was shredded in the last 8 years. In curiosity, how so? How different is that from what this administration is doing now? I am not looking for a new flanking attack position, I am looking for an answer why some people feel that during the Bush years the Constitution was shredded yet under they are not seeing what this administration, Senate and house are doing to it now. Did you know that a bill is going through that will pretty much shout down the 1st Amendment? This conversation we are having would be illegal according to the bill. Is that not shredding up our right to have an opposing opinion?
              • This is the problem Tim. The government is broken, legislative and executive processes are broken, or mis-applied. The unitary executive theorists believe that the president can usurp the courts and congress. Once Pres. Bush penned executive orders that said he could detain any one even American citizens calling them a security threats, that mean you and me, he overstepped the law. Once power has gained more power, that sets precidence, and the next president most likely not reliquish those precidence set by his predessesor...i..e. "states secret" gov't ploy to refuse to be transparent in court; warrentless wire tapping of American citizens; pre-emptive offensive wars on soverign nations...etc. Pres. Obama has been too slow in refuting these powers. Hopefully it will happen, but if it doesn't I'll be the first to scream loud about it, even if the President is of my party. About that bill you mentioned about the 1st Amendment, do you have a bill # (Senate or House Bill). I'll look into it and get back to you.
This reply was deleted.