Replies

• 82-84, V-1 Div.

• I think we know each other.  Mel Frisch served on board from June 1972 untill June 1975

Petty officer third, worked in captains office.

• 1971-1972. YN4 David White, Operations Yeoman. Like D John M, saw a lot of stuff. Really grew up on that tour of duty. Typed a lot of messages for Dept. head, and Captain Jack. I typed the correspondence to put the original launch on NAS Pensacola. Did the request to get the personnel launch Captain Jack outfitted for fishing. We used to drop anchor coming back from Corpus and "FISH CALL, NOW FISH CALL". What a tour. McHales navy for me. Out on Monday, back on Thursday. Remember the night of the thunderstorm that kept us from pulling up to the pier. Wind was blowing so hard Captain Jack was wary of crashing into the pier. One tug line even parted. We dropped anchor, had to wave at the folks on the pier. Got off about 4 or 5 hours later. What a night!
    Remember the running joke about Lexington guys, when the ship pulled out most of the guys had two people to wave to, their girlfriend and her other boy friend!!!! No guns, just skeet shotguns. Habitation improvement on our own.
    • 1958 - 1961 OI Division When she was a CVA. Caught her in Subic in 1958 and went to sea patrolling the South China Sea for 31 days. I was discharged from her in San Diego 8 September 1961 as a RD2 P2. A lot of long watches 8 on 8 off and also some very memorable times.  

• 1977 to 1980 B divison and 2nd division
  • Served two tours: 1971 - 1973 as 3rd class Air Traffic Control in OPS and CATCC. Then returned from 1978 - 1979 as 1st class Air Traffic Control in CATCC. Had some great times and some hectic times. Everything from dry dock in Boston to adding the angle deck in Mobile, and the Mardi Graw in New Orleans (shore patrol for three days) to party time in Corpus Christy. From neumerous crashes and cold cat shots to young men getting chewed up by props. And then there were three times where it was great and was able to save several lives and get awarded metals.
  • Hey there Tim...76-78. DC Shop: R-Div What memories!
  • Served '69 - '73 V-2 Flightdeck Aircraft Handler Loved every second of it,mostly night ops. Saw a lot of action, set a bunch of trap records, 1900 traps in a week plenty of action. Wished they would have had these new fangled pic cell phones they have today, would have had some good action pics to share. Especially when we rode out Hurricane Camille!
This reply was deleted.