Is the Forrestal worth saving?

I think so. I served aboard the USS Forrestal in the mid '70's during my military service. During this period, I participated in the Tall Ships Bi-Centennial celebration in New York, among other numerous deployments. This ship has played a vital role in Naval history and unfortunately, it is now slated to be sunk somewhere off the coast of the US. It's designated area and date is not known by me, but I do know that it is estimated approximately 34 million dollars will be spent to prepare this ship for its final resting place. I, among many other former sailors, would like to see this great ship remain afloat. The USS Forrestal Association (www.forrestal.org) has been relentlessly trying to find this great ship a permanent home pier with the intent of converting it into a museum offering the public an opportunity to tour it's vast array of spaces, passageways, systems, and understand it's place in US history. Unfortunately, time is running out. As a last chance effort to save this historic ship, a petition is being circulated that was sent to me. I in turn, sent it to all addresses contained in my contact file. I also requested from Doug of NavyVets, to assist me in this effort.Please join me in a massive effort to save this ship. I gathered as many supporting signatures as I could and sent it off to Jack Lawler Jr. (the person noted on the bottom of the petition). I was requested NOT to fill in the blank following "Dear" at the heading. The petition can be downloaded on this site by going back to the HOME page.Please help preserve this United States Navy ship and it's place in Naval History. It would be a shame to see our tax dollars send this chapter of Naval History to the ocean floor.

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just received an email regarding the FID.  Apparently there's discussion about reconsidering the fate of our old ship.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42474098/ns/us_news-environment/t/recycling-not-reefs-store-old-aircraft-carriers/

• The Grand Lady is a War memorial, for memory of all Shipmates that lost their lives in 1967. In 1.98 opinion

that is the most important reason

I served on the Forrestal 1970/71 with VA85

• I remember sending in my petition to Jack some time ago, but I am afraid it's a worthless effort to save her to being a museum now because she's pretty much ready to be sunk and has been stripped completely from the inside out to being nothing but a hollow shell - I've heard even all of the hatches have been removed. Since it's already budgeted, Forrestal is slated to be sunk fairly soon and remains tied to the pier next to Saratoga up in Newport RI. I would really love seeing my first ship become a museum; further, I think that the Forrestal museum website is badly out of date and is not being updated as it should.

I wrote my book which covers a lot of time I spent in Radio Central (MAINCOMM), it had to be cleared by the CNO's office in DC before I could publish it. I talk extensively about the crew and the port visits we made (1981-1983). I left the FID in Philly when she went into drydock for SLEP and went on to being a crewmember with USS Sellers out of Charleston SC.
  • well if we all pitch in as shares then we all buy it together then we have it permanently moored off shore or at a pier and we renevate certain parts of it so we each can have our own space like a condo and live on it, i'd take the admirals or the captains quarters. we buy it for what they'd sell it for scrap.
  • I just posted information and the links associated with this information on myspace (lots of sailors on that site) in hopes to get more signatures. One of my friends was a sailor on USS Bigelow DD-942, now on USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) chasing the Soviet fleet near Venezuela, who saw his beloved Bigelow get sunk.

It would be a shame to see anymore of Our ships get chopped up or sunk without given the chance of educating the public (true owners of these ships aka tax payers) as a museum. Case in point: http://www.mcallen.lib.tx.us/orgs/cabot1.htm
    What a heart break when Cabot was dismantled. Then you have the Coral Sea which took many years, lawsuits, and millions of dollars to scarp her. It could have been cheaper just to convert her to museum status.

I will be sending my petition in hopes to save Forrestal.
    • Thanks Tim. Your participation in this effort is very much appreciated. I just find it difficult to accept how a commitee can justify spending so much money to not only sink a ship, but to erase the evidence of American history.
    • I agree.

I find it difficult that an association, who would like to educate the public with turning a ship into a museum, is asked to fork over millions of dollars yet when they fall short, the ship is sold to a scrap yard at the highest bit. The Highest bidder will pay maybe 150,000 to 200,000 dollars. They take control of the ship to scrap and then tow it to another country to bi-pass our environmental laws. Any ship that has been scrapped here in the states is usually first tied up in law suits and environmental laws. Check out any of the ships that were cut up for scrap like Coral Sea or Cabot and you will see the ordeal in such a task. Both ships went under major controversy once it was sold for scrap from start to finish. The Cabot was a heart breaker, all of them are, but this one was the last WW2 Configured (still with a wood deck) CV left in existence. Pay attention to what the association was asked to pay versus what it was sold for and then later the ordeal in destroying it. http://www.mcallen.lib.tx.us/orgs/cabot1.htm

Personally, if a ship is not allowed to be preserved as a museum for the public to enjoy, I rather see it go to a watery grave than chopped up. Some will say the amount of steel is worth a lot more than a museum but will the tax payers who originally funded the ship get any of that money in return? Burial at Sea is more deserving than to be hacked up for whatever they turn them into.

Just my 2 cents.
    • What a debacle, but your point is on the mark. I guess it's an insane process. Why is that it cost millions to keep something that we see as value, but in most cases will be unloaded for a fraction of that cost. And what's worse, after the item is gone abroad and re-processed, it's then sold back to us to benefit another's economy. Go figure.
      I agree with you, if the FID isn't preserved at a pier here, then indeed it's better off preserved at sea.
    • Tim, I'm with you on this, my Grandaddy always talked as they were human, and always with the up most respect for them. He always told me that it was like sitting in God's hands, she was his vessel to our safety at sea. And if she can't be shown the respect she deserves, they need to bury her at sea.

My 2cents, raise my Granddy's 2
This reply was deleted.