Collision at sea

I was with a squadron (RVAH3) on a ten day carrier qual sometime around 70-72 out of Norfolk. Anyway we had a collision with a foreign vessel and I believe it was on the port side but I am not sure. I recall hearing that the fuel lines had been cleared and vented before impact and that it was our fault for not yielding the right of way. We knew the hit was unavoidable about twenty minutes prior. Anyway, the damage wasn't too extensive and was above the water line. Does anyone happen to remember this? It's possible it was the Kennedy since I had been out on both of these within a couple years apart.

I remember the skipper and xo standing on the deck looking down on the vessel and someone was advising them to back away or they would be fired on. The vessel appeared deserted lol but began backing away. Later someone told me the skipper was relieved of command.

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• spent 2 years on the USS GREAT SITKIN AE 17 1965-1967we re-armed the USS America a few times in the MED..we had a few collissions re-arming.scared the hell out you.we got hit so hard one time we had to have the hull welded.

This reply was deleted.