1969 / trip round south america

i was bt2 aboard yorktown,as she was re-assigned to the east coast,we couldnt get thr the canal so we sailed round s america,the ship had onboard dependent vehicles that were staying with the ship,i wasnt but my beautiful harley chopper was on,as i had sold the bike ,

on that trip we stopped at rio dejanero,at made gras time,wow! i caught shore patrol,which was a ride as shotgun with a brazian marine! he was wild! drove thru crowds , no brakes! only had to ride one time,4hours,rest of 5 days in the city,stayed at a nice hotel! the women were outstanding!!!!!!!

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mr Terry Barentsen: I served aboard the Yorktown from 1961-1963 in 'B' div # 4 fireroon & the BR shop. In fact under the close supervision of Chief Garcia BR Chief i rebricked both the saturated and superheater furnaces on all 8 boilers. I had a BT buddy of mine who did his entire 4 years aboard in "B" DIV and told me there WERE NO BRICKWORK FAILURES during his time aboard. I left her in June of 1963 for BT "A " School,then on to the U.S.S. Bordelon DD-881 out of Charleston,South Carolina. Are you aware that the Yorktown is the lead ship at Patriots Point Maritime Museum in Mount Pleasant,SC.? I just returned fron our annual reunion yesterday. We spend 3 days each year shooting the breeze with the other former crewmembers..We have a welcoming dinner on the first evening. On Friday we have a Memorial to all former shipmates who passed away since the previous reunion. Some even  ask to have thier ashes spread in the water surrounding the Yorktown ( I'll be one of those ). On Saturday we have a meet & greet in hangar bay 2 from 1000 until 1400. We tell the visitors what we did while aboard and sign posters for them. If your interested in attending our reunion It's usually held during the first full weekend in October.Main Control and # 2 fireroon are open to visitors. We have  Medal of Honor Museum aboard along with various aifcraft on display.For information Google  U.S.S.Yorktown CV-10 Association.. 4 years ago we had 7 BT'S in attendance ( almost enough for a lighting off watch ). Last year and this year we had 4 BT'S. We have crewmembers comming who were aboard during WW-2 Korean War & Viet-Nam.

This reply was deleted.