The TD detachment at SSC/NTC Great Lakes 1978-1979

In 1978 I was a TD-2 assigned with the TD detachment at the Gas Turbine School where the Perry Class FFG engine room trainer was located. The TD's were required to check the locks on every door in the building and make sure all of the interior lights were off after hours. I received training by DEC on the DEC PDP 11/70 msin frame computer that operated the GE trainer and the new trainees would go on 12 hour simulated cruises using that trainer to simulate problems the crews might experience while out to sea. I learned a lot about electronics while in that DEC school and wonder what happened to that trainer. I was recently at Great Lakes when my son graduated and my G/F's brother is a reserve LT and he gave us a tour of the base. the Gas Turbine school and the three barracks the TD's lived in were torn down and  the Exchange is now on that site. the entire North Chicago strip buildings are long gone and the gate to the strip is chained closed. Are there any TD's in this group who were also stationed there as I haven't been able to find any of the TD's who I remember their names on any military related records I have searched. I have the DEC class picture which I used for my profile photo..

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –