Replies

• Mike, I assume you mean the R&O building they put up in the late 70's. In 72 we went through the old building. So it sounds like they were going to use the newer barracks (88&89) to house firefighter trainees? It still irks me to no end that there are all these buildings, like the older barracks that are rotting away and they would be perfect to house homeless vets! I realize the FD is using them. But, there appears to be more than they need!
    You know, the funny thing is that sooner or later some politician will want the Navy to expand again or a conflict will require it. They will suddenly realize they don't have enough capacity to train new recruits and will need to spend a billion dollars to build a new one since they gave away all the others they had for a hundred years!
  • I did a google search for images for RTC San Diego and came up with a number of pics. Some of these I found on other's Flickr pages. There are a few people that have visited there recently and taken pics. There are a few videos as well. We have those people to thank for the chance to see them! I have been able to find a few that brought back memories I had forgotten! As great as it is to see my old basic barracks (Bldg 72) is still there, I am sure it won't be for long!
    • The R & O building has not changed (I saw it last Dec 99), and the grinder is used as safe area for practicing fire fighting skills. The barracks (Newer ones) were in the process of being converted to 2 man rooms, I walked through a couple.
      Simple 2x4 and drywall... almost like they could convert back in a week. The USS Recruit was in need of repair back then too.
  • That is cool! I'd forgotten all about that till you posted it! If I remember correctly we had to stand to the side of the door, slap the hand a certain number of times and use a specific phrase to be allowed to enter. I believe it was something like "recruit so and so request permission to speak with the Company Commander"! That was unless you had the unique privilege to have CC summon you to the office!
    I can't remember most of the people I went to school with. But, I clearly remember my "bunk mate"! I still can hear his deep Georgia accent!
  • I can remember waking up in the AM and already hearing the grunts running in the field on the other side of the fence (1972). My basic side lodging was the first floor of the first barracks(Bldg 73) right next to the MCRD fence. Those barracks are still there! The SD Fire Dept uses them for training! Check out this photo stream! Even the bunks are still there! Those damn creaky things kept me up half the night!
    target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/27667193@N03/3029067160/in/photostream/

• When I had to go through my "Want list" concerning my retirement ceremony, I chose the R&O courtyard (Where I got off the bus.
      Got a chance to walk through the barracks....erie! I managed to "retrieve" that piece of wood (With the hand outline) we would slap to talk to the CC. Now hanging in my office!
      Everyone that attended my ceremony felt the same after we got to talking, like a CC could come around the corner and we would all freeze with fright!.
  • Hey Randal,
    I was in CO 272. Entered boot camp December 3rd and was in the barracks along the fence next to MCRD.
    The only photo's I have are from the "Book"
This reply was deleted.