SEABAG INSPECTION

IIRC...During basic...almost everyday at any time the CC could or would call for a seabag inspectionand it damn sure better be right and just like in the BJM..Anybody remember the black nylon socks...to me these were INSTANT athletes foot..there were NO white socks that I can remember...Hand washing clothes tying them on the line...even in the winter time!!!....never ever get your stuff mixed up with ANYONE elses...or you were automaticaly a thief...both of youI can count on 1 hand how many seabag inspections AFTER Basic...Though while stationed on the Mainside we did have lockers and every Friday was inspection day...NO ONE was allowed in the barracks till after inspection....Not too bad unless like me who had just gotten off from a 12 hr watch on Main Gate...sleepier n hell...so I would go to the base library...sit in a big over stuffed chair n sleep for maybe 4 hrs...No one everbothered me...course I always had a book in my hand too

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Those black socks as I remember them were always very stiff after washing them by hand. I do not remember any sea bags inspections. I do remember the CC doing the coin test on the bunk's sheets.
    • Those black socks were also INSTANT ATHLETES foot also...even in the winter at Grt Lakes...

•  I remember a sleet storm in November 1961.We were on the 3rd floor of the new barracks and had general inspection the next morning.We had all our uniforms either in the lockers or on the ground level wash lines.All we had left to wear was swim trunks.We were out in the sleet storm at night taking down wet clothes in navy swim trunks.

• Arrived NTC  Sept, 61 and landed in company 451.  Can't remember our CC's name but I know it was a chief who enjoyed hitting us with surprise sea bag inspections. We were on the second floor of the old barracks.  One October afternoon I was on watch in the clothesline area, when the chief called for an inspection.  I heard a lot of yelling up there and suddenly a lot of clothes came flying out of the window.  A few minutes later, the boot known as the company scrounge came running down, looking embarrassed collecting his clothes. 

• when i arrived in 2005, im sure, lol i know its alot diff now then it was then, lol. right off the bus we formed a stright line, with our bags lol. my night was 3 busses and we were told get in a line, white means petty officer and grey means chief, and you got 5 mins to make a call home, ok so 200 people running for a phone really???? then we got shaved, all our hair cut off, lol

tossed into a huge place where,, where told to strip and put all our stuff into a box,

heres a marker, send it home, all you can keep is religouse necklace and thats only 1 of them, or a wedding ring,

next to us is the smurfs,, ie, blue sweatpants lol, who ever dreamed that up was really messed up lol.

so we wind up getting out of that crap shack with our sea bags being impulimited with all that we would need for a week or 2, lol

we walked out of that building into hell,, hump it a mile or more, in the rain, the rack out, for less then 30 mins.

wake up, shit shower and shave, you had 5 mins.

literally in the old barracks you had less then 5 mins to do it all,,

i think i was smart, i pissed, as i shaved before i got there lol.

i used to smoke drink beer and shave my face allmost daily before i got there,, run heavy equipment, fly, lol alot of crap

all i wanted to do was survive, so i did all as perfect as could be,, till i got hurt,, and that changed everything,

next week ill supply some more,,

ty for reading,

• I was in Great Lakes in February of 1963 and had never seen snow and ice in my life, when I stepped off the bus I immediately busted my butt and took down 2 other recruits with me.

I vividly remember the grinders in the winter and standing for inspection out in the cold.

Our CC was a builder first class named Potter and his favorite punishment for screwing up was the worm watch ( on your elbows and toes while holding onto your ear lobes) so we immediately dubbed him " Worm watch Potter".

Anyone else remember the "chits" for haircuts ? 

• I think I messed up so if this is posted twice, sorry about that. I was at RTC Great Lakes the summer of 63. Company 353. I remember locker (seabag) inspections very well. I still fold cloths the same way. Our CC was an SMC and his hash marks were not gold but blood red. We never saw him much after noon during the day. One evening he came in and looked like he had been at the Chiefs Club since noon. He ordered us to throw all of our seabags out the window into one big pile 3 floors down, when a couple of the guys tried to carry their stuff down folded the Chief said the pile was on fire and to get the fire hoses. Everything we owed was soaking wet. A couple of guys from NY had cut the end off a broom handle and made dice. They had won some of the guys travel money and we were being held while an investigation was going being conducted. We were the only Company left in the building so we could use all the drying rooms to put our seabags back together. We were at Great Lakes an extra 10 days before we shipped out.
    • as much as i hate to say or type this,, i bet you where on linkon pardong spelling,, its a med ship now across from the grub crap chack thats run by prison inmates.

the bank is in that quarter now, and as of 2005, its still occupied, and we still know of those stories.

ty for remindinding me of them, we keep the jfk bunks around, and apparently this building as well lol.

• It's A Ship All Filled With Men. So Batton Down The Ladies Room. It's A Ship All Filled With Men. Men Men Men.
    • That Chief Of Yours Needed A Blanket Party. If For No Other Reason Drinking On Duty.
This reply was deleted.