Replies

• Was with Summer Support 81 til 84 and worked at the WD plant and on my last deployment I got to ride the supply flight to the South Pole in a Herc

• WinterOver 1987/88 attached to Crash/Fire at firehouse in McMurdo

• Three summers on the Ice.  Joined NSFA in June 1973 with WO orders.  Lateral xfer to Summer Support. Left for Recruiting duty in May 1976.  I ran the ET shop on the Hill.

Bill Fisher, Do you recall a RM named Billy Baker.  Billy wintered for the first time 1962.

• SORRY IT HAS TAKEN SO LONG TO REPLY. DONT REMEMBER A BILLY BAKER,  I THINK I WUD REMEBER A RADIOMANS NAME BUT PERHAPS NOT. BUT THEN 1957-58 IS A LONG TIME AGO AND ONCE YOU  ARE 3/4 OF A CENTURY OLD YOU TEND TO FORGET A LITTLE.

• ORIGINALLY WERE WERE DESIGNATED AS TASK FORCE 43. AS SOON AS WERE ARRIVED AT MCMURDO WE

WERE PART OF NAVAL AUXILIARY STATION MCMURDO. THEN SOMEONE UP THE LINE DECIDED TO  MAKE IT NAVAL AIR AUXIALRY STATION MCMURDO. i CAME DONW ON THE (THEN) USS BURTIN ISLANDD. I MADE RM2 WHILE WINTERING OVER. GUESS WHO CUT THE TELETYPE TYPE TAPE WITH ALL THE EXAM SCORED?? I DO REMEMBER ONE THE SMALLER BASES WHICH WILL REMAIN UN NAMED  HAD A CO WHO HAD ONLY 4 OR 5

1ST CLASS PO,S BUT HE TOOK 4 OR 5 CPC HATS WITH HIM!!  GOD LOVE HIM.

• bill task force 43 was 1963-1964 i was on board then  that was  the year jfk was shot  i work in the office above engine room one. there is a web site twww.burtonislandisland.org that list more crew members.

• You are undoubtably right on tha tsk force thing. I do recall that when were in cold weather training in E greewich, RI tha wre were referred to as Task Force something but  everything that I have reads US NAVVAL SUPPORT UNITS  ANARCTICA,DEEP FREEZE II (IGY 1957-58.I WAS DISCHARED IN 1961 AFTER SERVING ALMOST 3 YEARS AS CRYPTOGRAPHER AT NAS ROTA, SPAIN, WHICH WAS A GREAT TOUR OF DUTY.. DID THREE MONTHS RESERVE IN HOUSTON TEXAS.. I HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH ONE GUY WHO  CREWED THE TRIP DOWN  THE SAME TIME AS I WAS ABOURD AS A " guest"

I wil; contact the Burton Island site and see what comes of that..

I have seen on line what the base at mc murdo sound looks like now.. A far cry from the huts we had with only a kereosene heater which on colder nights the fuel line from the tank out side wud freeze and the brown stuff wud hit the fan while we jockeyed some poor soul to gout and thaw the damn thing.!!!

• bill were on line can i see the the base at McMurdo we had too go over on base too use office machine those guys are crazy. that was back in 63-64. old saying behined every tree is a naked worman iam still looking for that tree.

• WINTERED OVER DURING OPAERATION DEEP FREEZE III TURNED  21  WHILE ON THE ICE.  I THINK I WAS  THE YOUNGEST ON THAT TIME. HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE ANYONE FROM DF II OR III. I HAD ONE FRIEND WHO WINTERED OVER DP II. WNAME WAS WELEY GLANZ. MET UP WITH HIM LATER IN SPAIN (ROTA) HAVENT HEARD FROM HIM IN YEARS. LAST I SAW HIM WAS IN DALLAS TOO MANY YEARS AGO.

This reply was deleted.