Fleet Marine Force Service medal/ribbon

The Navy has yet to recognize the FMF service of thousands of Grunt Docs who have served side by side with the Marines for generations. In 1984 then Navy Secretary Lehman came out with an FMF ribbon but only for FMF service after 1984.The Navy should either recognize all of us Grunt Docs or none at all; choosing only those whose FMF service was post 1984 is a slap in the face to PRE-1984 FMF Hospital Corpsmen.

FMF Ribbon service post 1984.gif

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Went through in 1971. Knew about the ribbon and Warfare Device criteria. . Have tried to join Marine Corps League and they require proof of FMF Ribbon or Warfare Device so maybe with this information I can get lability to join.
    • Fred, use your DD214.  It has the 8404 designation on it.  I had no trouble joining the MCL.  I was welcomed with open arms.  I am the only FMF corpsman in our detachment.  I was with 1/4 3rd MarDiv home port was Okinawa from 11/72 to 11/73.  Summer was jungle training in Phillipines aboard USS Peoria and Tripoli with 8 weeks off Cambodia.

Terry

• Well I can understand the discontent about not getting the FMF Ribbon when it came out. I was one of the luck ones then. Got both the Ribbon and the Warfare Device. Had to bust my rump both times to earn it. Stationed with K 3/1, B 1/1, 53 ABC Camp Horno, Camp Pendelton... Returned to create a BAS (plank owner) for the School of Infantry (SOI West) and worked out of the 52 ABC...Semper Fi to all my fellow Doc's.....

• During the Vietnam era, FMF Corpsmen were allowed to wear the "FMF" device{ Eagle,Globe and Anchor} on their Vietnam Service Ribbon. Doug Wean HM2, 3rd Marine Division, 'I' Corps, 67-68. Silver Star, Purple Heart
  • I agree with that I seved in the 3rdMarDiv 64-65 snf 1stMarDiv 65 best duty I ever had in the Navy, even if part of it was spent in Nam.
    I went to Kodiak AK and was designeated Offical Navy Represntative to the Marine Corps Ball.
  • Well how about the new surface warfare pin developed and implemented a few years ago. I had such a terrible time getting the signatures for the competencies so that I could go for the board. I got stuck in time with just the FMF ribbon frankly, no one recognizes it anymore because new generations have to get the new pin in order to go up for advancement. Now add that to your pre-1984 guys and you have an even bigger task on your hands.

It sucks.
  • Thanx, Doc...happens that I have an HM buddy at work at the VA hospital who gave me his when he came back from Iraq.
    I just wish us old timers had something to show for so much livin', but being a part of those Grunt outfits gave me memories that no badge can replace, that's for sure.
    The Hospital Corps...a bum like me was in the best of company. Some of the bravest guys who ever lived were HMs.
    I still believe that SecNav should authorize the badge for all FMF HMs, but whatever...
    • Yes, You are the man!! I was a Marine with the FMF 1976 , E CO 2/9  # MAR DIV. Navy DOCS THE BEST!! Well, That was before I joined the Navy 6 tears later and Graduated Hospital Corps School November 13 , 1981!! I can speak from both sides saying that grunts and grunt docs can never get enough attaboys!!!

• I hear you about my time with the Grunts is all I need to be validated. The great honors of my life are being married to my lovely wife for 40 years and my 32 combat operations with Fox Co. 2nd Battalion 3rd Marines in northern I corps Veitnam 1967-68. I live in Oceanside next to Field Med School. I know many FMF Docs. The standard they are trained up to today is much higher than I was in 1966. It took 3-4 months of combat time to get the training they have when they deploy. Earning to FMF device to where on their chest is an acheivement well earned.

DOC Greg Rogers Corporal Karl Hirsch on Uss Tripoli 1967.jpg

Greg's 001.jpg

Gerry DOC March gets Purple Heart from Lt.Gen Lew Walt 10Ma~1.jpg

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3439449288?profile=original
  • The ribbon is no longer in force now it is a warfare device similiar to the others. Check it out here at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Marine_Force_insignia .
This reply was deleted.