Gitmo, 1968-1969

I arrived here from Norfolk in January of 1968 and departed in August of 1969. I was a commissaryman 3rd class petty officer (cook) at Bay Hill Galley. When working the steam kettles I often had a wet towel around my neck to help stay cool. I lived in a separate barracks across from the galley for all the cooks called the “cook shack.” We had a small patio behind the barracks where we sat in the evenings and told stories and sang country music. Being a cook had some advantages as we could go over to the galley at night and make ourselves a sandwich as long as we cleaned up. We had an old dog for a mascot that was named Tiger. When on duty our day was from 4:30 am until 6:00 pm. We worked “port and starboard” except for the night baker. I had duty at the EM Club occasionally. We (I) would go swimming and snorkeling at Windmill Beach, ride horseback, go to the club, the movies, lift weights in the small “weight room” that was next to the cook shack and occasionally would take a ship that was in Gitmo for fleet training, to Haiti or Jamaica for weekend liberty. I was on the USS Glover and a couple of other destroyers which I have now forgotten their names. I went on leave in June of 1968 to get married to my fiancé who was from Cambridge, Maryland. We got married in the church there and went on a honeymoon in New York City. We have been married for 50 years. It got a bit boring at times in Gitmo but I met some really great guys while there and I have fond memories of them. Whenever my orders came during my four years in the Navy they always were for shore duty. After boot camp in Great Lakes, I was stationed at Arlington Virginia, Bainbridge Maryland, Norfolk Virginia and Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Inlisted August 26, 1965 and discharged August 26, 1969. My nickname is Corky. 

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –