1944 boot camp and radioman school

I entered naval aircrew at memphis in October 1944--age 17--was in boot group #8.After graduation in spring of 1945 was promoted to ARM/3C and sent to Purcell OK for gunnery school--man was it hot there that summer!  From Purcell went to Corpus Christi for PBM flight training.  However with war over they stopped all further training.  In december 45 went to Great Lakes Training center for storekeepers school with objective of becoming a group leader at seperation center until I got enough points for discharge.  Going from the gulf coast to Chicago in December was another world weatherwise--especially since we had no winter issue clothing.  After Great Lakes went to Camp Shoemaker as separation leader until August 46 when I was discharged (Shoemaker was in bay area CA).  I was one of the lucky ones and I have never forgotten that.   Glenn E. Wiar.

You need to be a member of Navy Veterans to add comments!

Join Navy Veterans

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Did you know any guys from ARM/3B?  My Grandfather Joe Kilgore was in that group.  I've got a picture of the group standing in front of a Corsair.  Everyone signed the back of the photo.  Just trying to find out a little more.  Grandpa Joe passed away in 1988.

This reply was deleted.