Replies

• I keep hearing about this story. I was stationed there in 1984 then transferred to the fleet. Been back there many times over the years. I'm not sure I want to be part of their study though. VA kept sending me notices in the mail for Gulf War syndrome testing but ignored them. There's always some issue.
    • True there is always some issue, but your health is very important. Some of the problems may not show up right away, and
      could be passed on to your children.

I am going to be tested for mesothelioma very soon. Was aboard USS Raleigh, built in New York Navy Shipyard, and had
      several trips back there for more yard work. Working in the living quarters cutting the insulation. Asbestos bad stuff.
    • I'm way past child-bearing now. Not worried about that but I've been to a good internist recently and was tested for a miriad of problems with fatigue and such but then I've been deployed for a long time so it's no unusual. I don't trust the VA. They did a very bad thing to me long ago and I won't even think of going to let them touch me. I'll see a civilian doctor while I still can.

Now asbestosis is not something to laugh at; my ex husband was on a ship doing inspections many years ago and his team had asbestos exposure. We're hoping he doesn't end up developing respiratory problems. So far so good. I hope your tests come out okay.
This reply was deleted.