Replies

• Not only on ships. As an aircraft machints mate, I had direct contact with flat braided rope like asbestos that I had to cut to put onto bolts like washers on heatshields for the J52 engines.

• I spent 3 years on a AF and a steam pipe was right on top of me wrapped with the stuff. I was on the top rack. slept there every night or part of every night for three years. Still here 53 years later and in pretty good shape for now anyway..

•  while they removed all the asbestos and lead paint we spent 90 days in the hoboken, n.j. we had to eat sleep and work on the ship while this was going on it always looked like it was snowing and it is was everywhere. back in the 60`s we didn`t know the damage lead paint and asbestos can do to you. remember the asbestos suits while you were at general quarters ? 

• i go to the va hosptal i told them about me having a hard time breathing and they just say it lung diseise im in pain and sick 24/7 all they want to do is fill me full of pills that dont work

• after 7years  trying to get the navy to admit to anything that was wrong and dangerous I contacted a lot of my shipmates and got letters from them telling what did happen. and I finally am having my case re -opened. I will keep everyone about what happens but I am  70 years old now and I hope I finally get the truth from the navy and the VA.you need proof on paper because the VA will never believe you without proof.

• USS GREAT SITKIN AE 17 IS ONE OF THE SHIPS THAT REMOVED ASBSTOS WHEN THE CREW WERE EATING AND SLEEPING ON IT IN THE HOBOKEN SHIP YARD IN 1966

• My First Ship the USS Alamo LSD-33, I was down in troop side ripping out asbestos when I worked in Deck Force, with no face protection... Retired in 1998.. It's now 2013 and don't have any signs yet.... But good information here Hope i never do get any of that

I do have a bad case of skin cancer but I use to work out on deck, a lot and with red hair than, I was fair skin... VA don't think I deserve anything for that... But then again I am still fighting now going on 5 years on an appeal from VA Oakland

With over 700,000 backlogged cases, and the fact that FOX News reported on that story quoting VA that said about only 17% of those working on our medical Records are actually qualified... Mmmmm Guess that is why I myself have been denied over and over....

• I served onboard the USS Oriskany which loaded with asbestos. I remember working off of the flight deck in the crash shack directly below the stacks. Every launch we were showered y the stuff.

• I was exposed to it on the Oriskany in the mothball fleet in 1991.

This reply was deleted.