Replies

• I've got to chime in on this.  My husband served 21 years, is a Vietnam Era, Cold War Era, and Desert Storm/Desert Shield Era Vet.  I on the other hand am considered a Cold Ware Era vet.

I have only been approached once to join an AL post. (The one my husband belongs to).  And while they would have accepted me as a vet, I pointed out that they dates would exclude my service (this was over 6 years ago).  The kind fellow indicated that if I couldn't join the post as a vet, then I could join as an Auxiliary member.

It was a kind gesture, but not one I'm willing to settle for at this time.

• I feel I must chime in on this one.  A couple of months ago I received a package from the AL soliciting my membership.  I initially questioned my eligibility since I served active duty from 10/75 thru 10/79.  The reply
    was as follows;

Mr. Lieberman,

The American Legion recognizes the service of all Cold War veterans (I am one myself—1978-1982), but the organization itself is chartered by the United States Congress as a wartime veterans organization. 
    Congress has not identified the Cold War as a “wartime” period.  Until legislation is passed recognizing Cold War veterans as wartime veterans under public law, we are unable to bring these veterans into our organization.

Sincerely,

Bill Sloan

Well, maybe I shouldn't have, but I sent Mr Sloan what was on my mind after I read his response;

Dear Mr. Sloan,

Thank you for your reply.  If the American Legion's policies and status should change to recognize all United States of America's armed forces veterans who valiantly volunteered to defend the rights and freedoms we represent to the world, please contact me for membership.  Until then, I urge the organization not squander it's precious resources on senseless marketing initiatives by mailing such elaborate solicitation packages to me or other "ineligible" veterans. I find it very disturbing to see an organization spending large sums of money seeking memberships, only to reject those who indeed want to join.
    Sincerely,
    Al Lieberman

So there you have it.  Will it ever change? One last thing, I haven’t heard a word back from Mr. Sloan or anyone else from the AL.

• James and Al, that is exactly my point. Millions of veterans who served under harsh and demanding conditions, in

all branches of the military are being denied. The AL and VFW both have recognized Cold War Veterans many times. The VFW published an entire magazine dedicated to the Cold Warriors.

Both organizations have  passed resolutions backing a Cold War Medal in the last several years.

I have petitioned national leadership of both to ask congress to change their charters and have yet to receive

a reply.

Slowly cities, towns, and counties across the country are finally beginning to do something for the Cold Warrior.

But it is so slow, and from congress it is still a waiting game.

We are fighting for the Cold War Medal and equal treatment for ALL veterans, regardless of uniform worn or

time period served.

How many Cold War Veterans have been told that we are not "real veterans"?

• Michael, we have asked both organizations at the national level and leadership says that they are

restricted by congress in their charters. So far they have not asked congress to change. VFW once

took a poll of its members and most were against admitting Cold War vets.

James,

Yes you would be eligible to join AL, your wife would not. That is exactly what I was attempting to

point out. How it is so unfair, if you were not in one of those designated periods you are out of luck.

Also if you served outside one of those "war era's" no National Defense Service Medal, that is one reason

we are pushing so hard for the Cold War Service Medal, too many went through their tour of duty and

received no medal or ribbon of any kind

• Amen Jerry I'm right beside you this is something I say should have happen along time ago .  Now cause my father was in during the Vietnam War I can join the  Sons of the American Legion , But how  will my service to this country be shown . Maybe if we start a petition  asking other Cold War Veterans  to sign and support this issue then maybe we could stand a chance at seeing this happen ? Just a thought.
This reply was deleted.